User Tag List

41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Default Macan S or GTS

Hi folks. I have just ordered a Macan S in volcano grey with black interior amd 20" wheels. Need advice if i should go with GTS and maybe a Red interior while i can still make changes.
Is the Garnet Red too red ?
Does the GTS bring 12k worth of driving experience.
Appreciate any comments/ suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)

It would help if you would share your build to get a sense of what's important to you.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

If you have the budget, then I would. Even with the GTS, budget for at least another $5k in options though.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkhussein View Post
....Need advice if i should go with GTS and maybe a Red interior while i can still make changes.....
Hello and welcome to the group.

Most folks say that the Garnet interior looks much better in person than it does in pictures. But you should definitely find an example of a Garnet interior that you can see first-hand......even if it's on another model, like a Cayenne or Panamera.

As for the GTS question, it would help to see how you have configured your S. Also, sharing a bit about what previous cars you've owned might give us some insight on your driving style and preferences.
If you have a Porsche code, post it and we'll have a look.
WHT TGR likes this.

2015 Turbo / White / 20” Spyders / Black Window Trim / CF Sideblades / Espresso with Walnut / Espresso Belts / 14-way Seats / LCA / ACC-PAS / Entry & Drive / Surround View / Insulating Glass / PASM / PTV+ / AS / PCCB
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)

The Garnet Red is somewhat muted, not too bright. As SoCalS5 mentioned, you should see it in person if you can. My wife cringed when I told her I ordered a red interior, but once she saw it she loved it.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

Lots of prior threads on this. Short answer is, if you have the money and were going to option items such as the sports exhaust, LED headlights, blacked out trim, bigger wheels, etc. anyways, the GTS is a good way to go, particularly since it's tuned more aggressively than the S.

As for the red, it's a personal choice. I think the garnet red is beautiful, but I would never option it as I think I would get tired of it someday and it might hurt resale by limiting the number of potential buyers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WHT TGR likes this.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)

Close call for me if I had to do it again. I have an S and am happy with it. I like the PSE, extra power, and brakes on the GTS. But I really don't want air suspension because of the way it feels and reliability issues.
notmac1, SoCalS5 and Arnold_T like this.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

A while back someone else took the time to put together a very informative list of what makes the GTS different. I knew I would find myself referring to it, so I copied and pasted it into a word document. Anyway, I'm pasting it into this thread. Again, someone else went to the trouble of putting this together and I did not make a note of who it was (apologies to him). As you will see below, there are some significant differences.

Here it is:
"THIS is what makes the GTS different...
After reading numerous comments regarding the differences between the S, GTS and Turbo, I can't help but marvel at the almost painfully misinformed comments such as "the only improvement on the GTS handling is due to it being 10mm lower" or "the GTS is mostly useless exterior trim changes" or "a lowered Turbo will handle just like a GTS, or even better if you lower it even more with an aftermarket lowering kit", I decided to research more in depth WHAT IS IT that makes the GTS different.

If after reading this, you still think that you can make a GTS simply by adding external trim options lowering links and slapping a GTS logo, then do that and be happy.

I know that inevitably we will hear comments regarding how you will most likely not notice the GTS difference in your daily run to Whole Foods. To those I will say that the same would apply to the difference between a base 911 and a GT3. I dare you to notice the difference in daily city driving between the two of them. The fact that you don't drive it in a way where you notice it, does not mean that there are serious, highly technical engineering changes between them. And those changes are what makes these vehicles special.

Does everyone need, or want these things? No. But it is always nice to know what you have paid for.

Note: This list DOES NOT include those items that are standard on the GTS but that you can add to any other model (ie: Black window trim, or Sport Design Package).
Only those that are included on the GTS that you can't order separately on any other model (ie: Black Aluminum interior trim).

So, here they are, and please feel free to add to the list in case I missed anything else:

- 360 HP and 369 Lb-ft of torque 3.0 engine with upgraded internals:
- 17.4 PSI Turbo boost vs 14 PSI for S.
- New Camshaft.
- Revised air intake path.
- Reduced exhaust back pressure.
- New Piston design and other beffed-up internal components.
- High-rev horsepower curve, with max power at 6,000 rpm.
- 159 MPH top speed.
(This is mostly what makes a BIG difference between a GTS and just adding a chip to an S. The GTS is DESIGNED to handle more power.)

- Enhanced Transmission:
- Sturdier PDK Trasmission (as in Turbo).
- Retuned transmission shifting algorithm.

- Improved brakes:
- 14.8" front disk brakes with red calipers (as in Turbo.
(It is not only designed to go faster, but also to stop better).

- Especially tuned Porsche Sport Exhaust with natural cabin amplification.
(Why it sounds better than the S or Turbo with PSE).

- Enhanced Chassis tweaks:
- Air Springs with retuned PASM programming.
- 0.4" lower than standard Air Suspension.
- 10% stiffer than standard Air Suspension.
- Stiffer and thicker rear stabilizer bar.
- Greater rearward bias of torque distribution.
- Retuned PTM (traction management) stability controls allow 15 degrees more yaw before stepping in.
- Sport Plus setting of Sport Chrono–equipped models ...adds an intermediate Sport ESC mode, which is available only on the GTS and allows a bit more slip-angle leeway before intervening.
- The Porsche Stability Management System has been completely recalibrated for the GTS to provide even more “dynamic driving experience,” says the automaker (this means a driving enthusiast won’t feel restrained by an overly aggressive stability control system).

- Interior/Exterior Trim upgrades:
- Standard 8-way Sport Seats
- Exclusive GTS interior trim
- Black brushed aluminum trim
- GTS logo on headrests, tachometer, PCM, side blades and rear hatch.
- 20" Black RS Spyder wheels.

And I will close by adding a couple of comments from Torsten Gaertner, senior engineer of driving dynamics for the Macan:

- “The GTS is much more a driver’s car.”
- “The AWD is more rear-wheel biased.”
- “This is what the engineers envisioned when they designed the Macan"

So, the next time you hear that you can have GTS driving dynamics by simply lowering the suspension, please give Porsche Engineering a little bit more credit for what they have actually done!"
BossHoss, alex_c, Keiz and 2 others like this.

2017 GTS White/Red ordered 22 Nov 2016 / Build Code PHPGVL82 / PEC ATL delivery March 7, 2017
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by limulus View Post
A while back someone else took the time to put together a very informative list of what makes the GTS different. I knew I would find myself referring to it, so I copied and pasted it into a word document. Anyway, I'm pasting it into this thread. Again, someone else went to the trouble of putting this together and I did not make a note of who it was (apologies to him). As you will see below, there are some significant differences.
So, the next time you hear that you can have GTS driving dynamics by simply lowering the suspension, please give Porsche Engineering a little bit more credit for what they have actually done!"
Credit goes to @alex_c . Below is the thread where he made the post.

THIS is what makes the GTS Different
BossHoss, alex_c and sfNative like this.

Macan S : Silver/Black AS, PTV+,ACC, LCA/LKA,PP,PCM
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 360 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by viobruin View Post
Lots of prior threads on this. Short answer is, if you have the money and were going to option items such as the sports exhaust, LED headlights, blacked out trim, bigger wheels, etc. anyways, the GTS is a good way to go, particularly since it's tuned more aggressively than the S.

As for the red, it's a personal choice. I think the garnet red is beautiful, but I would never option it as I think I would get tired of it someday and it might hurt resale by limiting the number of potential buyers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What him said. +1

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Nicky J. likes this.

WHITE MACAN . CONFIGURED WITH ALL THE STUFF THAT I WANT AND NONE OF THE STUFF I DON'T NEED. HAVE BEEN ENJOYING IT SINCE FEBRUARY 28TH 2015.