THIS is what makes the GTS different... - Porsche Macan Forum
User Tag List

173Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Default THIS is what makes the GTS different...

After reading numerous comments regarding the differences between the S, GTS and Turbo, I can't help but marvel at the almost painfully misinformed comments such as "the only improvement on the GTS handling is due to it being 10mm lower" or "the GTS is mostly useless exterior trim changes" or "a lowered Turbo will handle just like a GTS, or even better if you lower it even more with an aftermarket lowering kit", I decided to research more in depth WHAT IS IT that makes the GTS different.

If after reading this, you still think that you can make a GTS simply by adding external trim options lowering links and slapping a GTS logo, then do that and be happy.

I know that inevitably we will hear comments regarding how you will most likely not notice the GTS difference in your daily run to Whole Foods. To those I will say that the same would apply to the difference between a base 911 and a GT3. I dare you to notice the difference in daily city driving between the two of them. The fact that you don't drive it in a way where you notice it, does not mean that there are serious, highly technical engineering changes between them. And those changes are what makes these vehicles special.

Does everyone need, or want these things? No. But it is always nice to know what you have paid for.

Note: This list DOES NOT include those items that are standard on the GTS but that you can add to any other model (ie: Black window trim, or Sport Design Package).
Only those that are included on the GTS that you can't order separately on any other model (ie: Black Aluminum interior trim).

So, here they are, and please feel free to add to the list in case I missed anything else:

- 360 HP and 369 Lb-ft of torque 3.0 engine with upgraded internals:
- 17.4 PSI Turbo boost vs 14 PSI for S.
- New Camshaft.
- Revised air intake path.
- Reduced exhaust back pressure.
- New Piston design and other beffed-up internal components.
- High-rev horsepower curve, with max power at 6,000 rpm.
- 159 MPH top speed.
(This is mostly what makes a BIG difference between a GTS and just adding a chip to an S. The GTS is DESIGNED to handle more power.)

- Enhanced Transmission:
- Sturdier PDK Trasmission (as in Turbo).
- Retuned transmission shifting algorithm.

- Improved brakes:
- 14.8" front disk brakes with red calipers (as in Turbo.
(It is not only designed to go faster, but also to stop better).

- Especially tuned Porsche Sport Exhaust with natural cabin amplification.
(Why it sounds better than the S or Turbo with PSE).

- Enhanced Chassis tweaks:
- Air Springs with retuned PASM programming.
- 0.4" lower than standard Air Suspension.
- 10% stiffer than standard Air Suspension.
- Stiffer and thicker rear stabilizer bar.
- Greater rearward bias of torque distribution.
- Retuned PTM (traction management) stability controls allow 15 degrees more yaw before stepping in.
- Sport Plus setting of Sport Chrono–equipped models ...adds an intermediate Sport ESC mode, which is available only on the GTS and allows a bit more slip-angle leeway before intervening.
- The Porsche Stability Management System has been completely recalibrated for the GTS to provide even more “dynamic driving experience,” says the automaker (this means a driving enthusiast won’t feel restrained by an overly aggressive stability control system).

- Interior/Exterior Trim upgrades:
- Standard 8-way Sport Seats
- Exclusive GTS interior trim
- Black brushed aluminum trim
- GTS logo on headrests, tachometer, PCM, side blades and rear hatch.
- 20" Black RS Spyder wheels.

And I will close by adding a couple of comments from Torsten Gaertner, senior engineer of driving dynamics for the Macan:

- “The GTS is much more a driver’s car.”
- “The AWD is more rear-wheel biased.”
- “This is what the engineers envisioned when they designed the Macan"

So, the next time you hear that you can have GTS driving dynamics by simply lowering the suspension, please give Porsche Engineering a little bit more credit for what they have actually done!

P.S. And by the way, in case you were wondering, this post took me a LOT more time to research than counting the number of buttons on the Macan GTS (103)...

Cheers!

2017 Macan GTS. Volcano Gray, Black Leather Interior, Black RS Spyder Wheels /Summer Tires, Sports Aluminum PDK, Sport Mirrors, Adaptive Cruise / PAS, Ventilated Seats, Sport Chrono, PTV+, Surround View, Air Suspension / PASM, Black Roof Rails, PCM with Navigation, Lane Keep Assist, Lane Change Assist, LED Headlights, Smoking Package, 18-Way Seats, Premium Package Plus, Rear Sunblinds, Red GTS Logos, Chrome interior accents, Wireless Charger for iPhone, Armrest Tray, Smoked Side Reflectors.

Last edited by alex_c; 08-08-2016 at 02:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)

You are now free to enjoy your GTS my son. You have passed the test

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
puffin, kite pilot, erpk and 10 others like this.

WHITE MACAN . CONFIGURED WITH ALL THE STUFF THAT I WANT AND NONE OF THE STUFF I DON'T NEED. HAVE BEEN ENJOYING IT SINCE FEBRUARY 28TH 2015.
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)

Unfortunately the turbos are undersized, even with ECM calibration it makes less power than a Macan T
RJE likes this.

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by F16HTON View Post
Unfortunately the turbos are undersized, even with ECM calibration it makes less power than a Macan T

And yet this is not a comparison to the Turbo. Nobody has questioned if the GTS has more power to the Turbo that I can recall. The thread is about what changed in the GTS from the other versions of the Macan. Also the Turbo has Alcantara headliner standard, but that wasn't questioned either

BTW I don't recall reading about the Turbo's turbos being bigger. As a matter of fact, both the GTS and the T's make 17 PSI of boost.

2017 Macan GTS. Volcano Gray, Black Leather Interior, Black RS Spyder Wheels /Summer Tires, Sports Aluminum PDK, Sport Mirrors, Adaptive Cruise / PAS, Ventilated Seats, Sport Chrono, PTV+, Surround View, Air Suspension / PASM, Black Roof Rails, PCM with Navigation, Lane Keep Assist, Lane Change Assist, LED Headlights, Smoking Package, 18-Way Seats, Premium Package Plus, Rear Sunblinds, Red GTS Logos, Chrome interior accents, Wireless Charger for iPhone, Armrest Tray, Smoked Side Reflectors.
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
To those I will say that the same would apply to the difference between a base 911 and a GT3. I dare you to notice the difference in daily city driving between the two of them.
Oh I don't know about that... most of us that are at an age to be able to afford those cars would need to see a Chiropractor after using the GT3 on a daily drive!! At least a Carrera is comfortable!
grim, notmac1, Louie Zoi and 4 others like this.

Macan GTS / Jet Black / Black Alcantara/GTS Full Leather Interior Package / 20” RS Spider Wheels in black / LED Lights / 18-way Sports Seats / Heated Front & Rear Seats / Black Brushed Aluminium / Sports Chrono / LCA / Adaptive Cruise Control / Entry and Drive / PASM / 75L Tank / PA with Surround View / Bose / Comfort Lighting / TowBar / Automatic Dimming Mirrors / Privacy Glass / 3-Zone Climate / New PCM with NAV / Connect Plus / Feb '16 build - Delivery end April '16
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1087 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2548 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
To those I will say that the same would apply to the difference between a base 911 and a GT3. I dare you to notice the difference in daily city driving between the two of them.
Alex, I applaud you for digging out this info. What you discovered is how PAG adds HP, the old fashioned way. Unlike chipping, they just don’t turn up the boost but gave it a more radical cam, increased the breathing, modify the exhaust, modified the pistons to handle the boost, and modified the PDK. This is the inherent flaw with getting cheap HP with chips. This increase is the same fundamental approach they use with the X51 kit for a 911. They make power the old fashioned way: increase breathing, more radical cam, polish the heads, and exhaust.

Good job in digging this out.

But I got to take exception to your base Carrera vs GT3 analogy. Sorry, not even close. If you can’t tell the difference in daily driving between the two, there is something really wrong with the driver. Just a “few” examples:

A. The tires. The GT3 comes with R compounds unsuited for rain and can be dangerous below 45. At 20 they can crack. The Carrera has normal street production tires

B. The suspension is radically different. You can corner balance the GT3. A base Carrera rear spring rate is 45nm. A SPASM S is 108nm. I don’t know the GT3 number but the bushings are even harder. Yes, you will notice this.

C. The GT3 wheels are center locks requiring 443 ft to break. Good luck with that.

D. A GT3 is much lower requiring a front axle lift to be reasonable on the street. You will rip the front end off with a low break over angle. Imagine every time you turn into anything with an angle you need to raise the front end.

E. A 3.4 Carrera engine wails. A GT3 engine screams with a 9,000 rpm redline. Absolutely NO comparison. Yes, you will notice this. Its hard not to.

F. The PDK is PDK-S, not regular PDK

In other words, you WILL know the difference driving to MdDonalds (not to mention the huge wing so you can’t see all that good out the back )

But I get your point. Good job.
Louie Zoi, Namo and L_K like this.
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)

Where is the dead horse emoticon when I need it...
RJMcInnis likes this.
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim View Post
Alex, I applaud you for digging out this info. What you discovered is how PAG adds HP, the old fashioned way. Unlike chipping, they just don’t turn up the boost but gave it a more radical cam, increased the breathing, modify the exhaust, modified the pistons to handle the boost, and modified the PDK. This is the inherent flaw with getting cheap HP with chips. This increase is the same fundamental approach they use with the X51 kit for a 911. They make power the old fashioned way: increase breathing, more radical cam, polish the heads, and exhaust.

Good job in digging this out.

But I got to take exception to your base Carrera vs GT3 analogy. Sorry, not even close. If you can’t tell the difference in daily driving between the two, there is something really wrong with the driver. Just a “few” examples:

A.The tires. The GT3 comes with R compounds unsuited for rain and can be dangerous below 45. At 20 they can crack. The Carrera has normal street production tires

B.The suspension is radically different. You can corner balance the GT3. A base Carrera rear spring rate is 45nm. A SPASM S is 108nm. I don’t know the GT3 number but the bushings are even harder. Yes, you will notice this.

C.The GT3 wheels are center locks requiring 443 ft to break. Good luck with that.

D.A GT3 is much lower requiring a front axle lift to be reasonable on the street. You will rip the front end off with a low break over angle. Imagine every time you turn into anything with an angle you need to raise the front end.

E.A 3.4 Carrera engine wails. A GT3 engine screams with a 9,000 rpm redline. Absolutely NO comparison. Yes, you will notice this. Its hard not to.

F.The PDK is PDK-S, not regular PDK

In other words, you WILL know the difference driving to MdDonalds (not to mention the huge wing so you can’t see all that good out the back )

But I get your point. Good job.

Thanks @grim ! Of course the 911 to GT3 is a reduction to absurd on my behalf to make a point. I've seen my fare share of soccer moms driving Cayenne Turbo S's with ceramic brakes and doing 45 MPH on the left lane of the highway. Clearly they have no idea what they are driving, most likely they bought it because they liked the color and it was the only one in stock at the dealership in that color. My point is that most people -unlike aficionados- don't know what is underneath the hood, and may never realize what the differences were between what they got and any other model.

In the case in point, the GTS, most likely a lot of GTS buyers may never know what it took Porsche to develop it. They just know that it looks cool and sounds better than the 'other' Macan they jut tested.
grim and Namo like this.

post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
Where is the dead horse emoticon when I need it...

It is just below the other post that describes all the features included in the GTS. Look for it if you can find it. I couldn't, that is why I wrote this one.

post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 801 Post(s)
Quoted: 1998 Post(s)

So, I appreciate @alex_c posting this type of detailed info. I don't feel he's putting down any other model.

And I understand S and Turbo owners can get ther hackles up when reading his post.

Bottom line, at least to me, is any Macan is way more capable than I'll ever be. It's way more capable than most cars on the road, let alone other SUV's.

I drive my Macan in many different ways. Often sedately. This past weekend, coming from Bar Harbor, Maine to Portsmouth, NH, sedate isn't exactly how I'd describe it. Many back country roads, many opportunities to legally pass other cars, RV's, etc.

Many instances where one lane turned into two with slower traffic moving over and those behind me doing their darnedest to keep up with me and to their chagrin unable to.

Yeah, my wife was just on the phone with one of our kids and said, "Dad sped here" and she wasn't lying.

And my Macan pleased me to no end, made me smile wide every time I stepped on that pedal, as I know S owners do, as I was one, as I know GTS owners do as evidenced by the many passionate owners here.

None of that takes away from Alex's research which I find very interesting and informative.