post #21 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1087 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2549 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrralis1 View Post
@alex_c

This ought to be a sticky thread . .. Thanks for posting it !!
I concur. Done. This is important for potential buyers who want the details. Good job @alex_c

For the naysayers, its not the bling that matters. Any car maker can do bling. Its the HOW they make power that matters, and when Porsche increases HP levels in an engine, they just don't increase boost or add some headers and an exhaust. They do it the old fashioned way, they holistically look at the problem and beef up the internals. This is the inherent flaw in getting cheap HP via chipping IF you care about keeping the car over time.

If you think this is a fluke, read TTAC Porsche Uber Alles

"There's an old racing expression: "To finish first, first you must finish." Porsche doesn’t just pay homage to it, they live it. ... You will find more bearing area, big-ends and mains, for each liter of displacement in a 911 engine than in any other engine in production today. It’s an obscure technical point, but a telling one. You simply cannot buy a more robust high performance automobile."

Then read how they make power with the X51 kit on a 911. https://www.porscheengineering.com/p...bout/magazine/ Issue 2/2012 Polished heads, increased breathing, higher lift cam, another water cooler.

When Toyota's LMP1 car failed at the end of Le Mans, 2016 and the Porsche 919 LMP1 ending up winning, you can probably believe a lot of that was due to over engineering and the robustness of the overall car going back to their first Le Mans win. And this goes back to the TTAC article

"To finish first, first you must finish." Porsche doesn’t just pay homage to it, they live it. The German company has dominated nearly every race series in which they’ve competed. More to the point, Porsche’s won the grueling 24-hour race at Le Mans sixteen times. That’s more than Ferrari and Ford put together. This phenomenal stamina is now built into every Porsche road car.

And that is why its the holistic approach that matters and why the attention to details matter - its not the bling, its the overall approach. And now that engineering approach is clearly part of the Macan.
Louie Zoi, Hokie, Jerry and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
I decided to research more in depth WHAT IS IT that makes the GTS different.
Can you please provide some links to show the "research" and were this information was published?

4 four ring cars and 1 P-car
post #23 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz View Post
FYI it's not 'jives' it's 'jibes' with a 'b'.
Class dismissed!
Wow, thank you for pointing out a typo and contributing to this thread

First grammar Nazi I've seen on this forum so far, I guess I've been lucky.

post #24 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime View Post
Can you please provide some links to show the "research" and were this information was published?
Porsche's strategy for old GTS models had been magnificent in its mission: Even if buyers couldn’t afford faster cars, there was still a race to empty whatever they had left in their wallets.

Engineers insist that’s not the case with the 2017 Porsche Macan GTS. This is the “target” Macan, they say. All other Macans are derivatives.

2017 Porsche Macan GTS first drive review

Despite the fact that the Macan GTS only now joins the lineup two years after the launch of Porsche’s small crossover, Porsche tells us that this model was actually the first version of the Macan developed. Fully aware of the enthusiast credentials GTS models lend to the lineup name, Porsche figured if it could perfect the GTS version early, the base Macan, Macan S, and Macan Turbo would capture some of that GTS magic too.

2017 Porsche Macan GTS First Drive Review
trusted, alex_c and Theostoubos like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)

Wow, thank you all for your kind words! I'm overwhelmed. It is an honor to have this as a sticky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime View Post

I will post the sources later this evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Macan GTS. Volcano Gray, Black Leather Interior, Black RS Spyder Wheels /Summer Tires, Sports Aluminum PDK, Sport Mirrors, Adaptive Cruise / PAS, Ventilated Seats, Sport Chrono, PTV+, Surround View, Air Suspension / PASM, Black Roof Rails, PCM with Navigation, Lane Keep Assist, Lane Change Assist, LED Headlights, Smoking Package, 18-Way Seats, Premium Package Plus, Rear Sunblinds, Red GTS Logos, Chrome interior accents, Wireless Charger for iPhone, Armrest Tray, Smoked Side Reflectors.
post #26 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Garage

Great post summarizing all the details. One item you missed is the exclusive black RS Spyders!
Antidentite, alex_c and L_K like this.

2017 Macan GTS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Cayman GTS 6MT
2006 Lexus LX470
post #27 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokerhobo View Post
Great post summarizing all the details. One item you missed is the exclusive black RS Spyders!
Great catch!

Added and corrected the original post.

Thanks!
Pokerhobo and L_K like this.
post #28 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoshi View Post
Wow, thank you for pointing out a typo and contributing to this thread

First grammar Nazi I've seen on this forum so far, I guess I've been lucky.
@MDJAK straighten me out on something I'd been miss quoting for moons and I appreciated it. Hope you do as well. Don't let me impress you as I was corrected just recently on jive vs jibe!
Louie Zoi likes this.

Rhodium Silver, Luxor beige, brushed alum, Prem Package Plus-14 way, PDLS, Bose, auto dim mirrors, heated seats frt & rear, steering wheel, vented frt seats, pano roof, entry and drive, delete model, smoker pack, park assist frt & rear with surround camera, 20" sports with colored crest, crest on front head rest. Lane change assist, Received 3/18/16 MY2017.
post #29 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz View Post
@MDJAK straighten me out on something I'd been miss quoting for moons and I appreciated it. Hope you do as well. Don't let me impress you as I was corrected just recently on jive vs jibe!

The V and B keys are next to each other and both Jive and Jibe are valid English words, so the spell check doesn't catch it. It's almost never appreciated when you correct grammar or spelling on a public forum, especially when it doesn't effect the content or context of the conversation.

Anyway, back on topic - I read in one review that the Turbos used in the GTS are different than what is used in the S.. I'll see if I can find that review again.
post #30 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)

Oh sure, @alex_c , you got a 'sticky', now everyone's going to want one. To be fair, @grim is going to have to issue a bunch of 'sticky's', which will have increasingly diminished status, until they actually become known as 'Audi sticky's'. How will you feel about that?
WHT TGR and Louie Zoi like this.

'15 White S, Std Agate, Dk walnut, 18 way, RS Spyder w/ AS tires, A/S w/ PASM, PP+, Infotain, Body color side blades, LCA, 3-zone, Bose, Comfort lghtg, Hi gloss black, roof rails, smoking pckg (Wife's dd)

'17 GTS 'stripper'; VG, Agate/Pebble, 14-way, RS Spyders, E&D, LCA, SC, Seat vent, Nav (my dd)