User Tag List

173Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 10:30 PM
gir

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)

Good research but a perhaps a little too much PR spin regurgitated?

"Especially tuned Porsche Sport Exhaust with natural cabin amplification" - maybe you can clarify that rather than just lifting it?

That would be that the fake noise from the speaker bolted to the bulkhead is stronger?

You missed that the smaller rear disks from the turbo reduce the unsprung mass.

And you do realize that the car's Logo on the PCM and rev counter are (mutually) excusive on all Porsches? That's PR words with no meaning.

I guess from the length or your post you are feeling a little insure on your choice? Drive it and enjoy rather than over analyzing how effective the marketing department was in convincing you.
Arnold_T likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gir View Post
Good research but a perhaps a little too much PR spin regurgitated?

"Especially tuned Porsche Sport Exhaust with natural cabin amplification" - maybe you can clarify that rather than just lifting it?

That would be that the fake noise from the speaker bolted to the bulkhead is stronger?

You missed that the smaller rear disks from the turbo reduce the unsprung mass.

And you do realize that the car's Logo on the PCM and rev counter are (mutually) excusive on all Porsches? That's PR words with no meaning.

I guess from the length or your post you are feeling a little insure on your choice? Drive it and enjoy rather than over analyzing how effective the marketing department was in convincing you.

First of all, I'm not "regurgitating PR info". I'm trying to find facts to illustrate the difference between GTS and other models, plain and simple. And I thought it was necessary based on the uninformed comments all around regarding the GTS, like "the only difference is that it is 10mm lower, so you can do the same with $150 lowering links and save $12K!".

The logos info was only to indicate where the GTS moniker appears on this model. I don't recall seeing the "S" on the corresponding tach of the S. So that is the kind of uninformed comments I am trying to avoid.

And no, I am NOT feeling "insure" (sic). Perhaps you meant "insecure", which I am not feeling either. Actually I am extremely happy to have chosen a GTS, and that is why I wanted to research as much info as available on what makes this vehicle different.

And no, the marketing department was not convincing at all, as I did not get any marketing info at all before ordering the GTS. I simply read the specs and did pricing analysis comparing all 3 models and came out with the conclusion that for me the best option was the GTS.

Perhaps it is you who is feeling "insure" after reading that what you thought was only cosmetic changes on the GTS are not just so.

And by the way, the Macan DOES NOT have a speaker induced exhaust sound. It is naturally generated. The changes to the air intake and lower exhaust pressure help with the PSE sound naturally, which sounds quite different from an S or a Turbo. And by "different" I mean better.

If you are going to dispute a post, please document yourself first.
grim, Barry Cuda, Benz and 7 others like this.

2017 Macan GTS. Volcano Gray, Black Leather Interior, Black RS Spyder Wheels /Summer Tires, Sports Aluminum PDK, Sport Mirrors, Adaptive Cruise / PAS, Ventilated Seats, Sport Chrono, PTV+, Surround View, Air Suspension / PASM, Black Roof Rails, PCM with Navigation, Lane Keep Assist, Lane Change Assist, LED Headlights, Smoking Package, 18-Way Seats, Premium Package Plus, Rear Sunblinds, Red GTS Logos, Chrome interior accents, Wireless Charger for iPhone, Armrest Tray, Smoked Side Reflectors.
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage

I've seen people speculate a few times about a "Speaker" in use by Porsche for the exhaust sound. According to a giant exhibit in the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart, Porsche *never* uses fake exhaust sounds or speakers to amplify. The exhaust sound you hear is always 100% the actual engine and they take great pride in tuning the exhaust for each engine.
Jerry and jcar like this.

post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)

Some interesting reading here: http://www.macanforum.com/forum/engi...gely-fake.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoshi View Post
I've seen people speculate a few times about a "Speaker" in use by Porsche for the exhaust sound. According to a giant exhibit in the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart, Porsche *never* uses fake exhaust sounds or speakers to amplify. The exhaust sound you hear is always 100% the actual engine and they take great pride in tuning the exhaust for each engine.

Delivered on 02/11/2015: Macan S Agate Gray | Black Int w/carbon fiber | 20" RS with colored crest cap | 14-way Seats | PASM/AS | Prem+ | High Gloss Trim | Rear Fascia and Side Blades painted | Park Assist/cam | Heated Steering Wheel | LCA | 3-Zone | Smoking Pkg | Comfort Lighting |

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)

Thanks, @alex_c !! Your post validates the decision I made recently to trade my S for a GTS!! It makes me smile... I was unaware of all the differences... and now I feel like I really got a lot more than I bargained for!!

Thanks again for all your work on this!! Enjoy your GTS!!

Louie Zoi, Benz, alex_c and 1 others like this.

2017 MACAN GTS Rhodium Silver*Black Leather Pkg | 20" SD Wheels*Pirelli | PTV+ | PDLS+ | Gloss Black Door Handles | Side Blades in Rhodium Silver | Porsche Entry&Drive | 14-Way Seats*Memory Pkg | LCA | ACC-PAS | ParkAssist*Surround View | Auto-Dimming Mirrors | Steering Wheel Heating | Seat Heating & Ventilation | Dark Walnut Interior Pkg | Instrument Dials in White | Compass on Dashboard*White Dial | NAV*PCM*Connect + | Smoking Pkg | Aluminum-Look Fuel Cap
post #16 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 02:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Thanks, @alex_c !! Your post validates the decision I made recently to trade my S for a GTS!! It makes me smile... I was unaware of all the differences... and now I feel like I really got a lot more than I bargained for!!

Thanks again for all your work on this!! Enjoy your GTS!!

+1 from me (I also traded in my S on a GTS), and now I know why!

Haha.

Alex, your post to start this thread is one of my favorites after a month browsing the forum. : ) Bravo!
post #17 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 02:31 AM

Mentioned: 499 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)

@alex_c

This ought to be a sticky thread . The detailed summary is phenomenal !! It's those minor tweaks in the suspension which I immediately noticed . Although not as fast as a Turbo in straight line or as luxurious in ride the GTS represents the more dynamic driving car to me. I never would have thought this had I not driven and owned both .

PS. I love the reference of "lower it more" (lol) . I've seen guys take a 911 S and spend more than a Gt3 trying to make it a Gt3 only to end up giving up or buying a Gt3 . Across the board there are significant differences amongst the variants.

Once again .. Thanks for posting it !!
Benz and alex_c like this.
post #18 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 04:18 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by santastico View Post

Which validates what I said.. Audi and VW fake it, Porsche does not. Grim's post #5 in that thread jives with what Porsche says. They may resonate it to get the sound they want, but it's all from the engine. There is no speaker or other gimmicks. Porsche prides themselves on the sound of their engines, it's one of the reasons they even let you hear it on the confusilator.
Jerry, ABusLux and alex_c like this.
post #19 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 08:59 AM
kdr

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)

@alex_c - Thank you for putting this together. We got the GTS mainly for the price point as it made the most financial sense. I'm a skeptic and always will be and dismiss most of this stuff as marketing hype. Now I agree that many of these things prevent one from turning an "S" into a "GTS." It's mostly comments about one or the other being more luxurious that miss the point. It's the same dang car. Sure, the GTS and the Turbo have some things that the S doesn't, but its not like Porsche pulled the back seats and put a roll cage in the GTS. On the Porsche scale of GTS variants, the differences seem relatively tame and for most people ultimately a marketing bundle.

Enjoying a Macan GTS since June 2016
post #20 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoshi View Post
Which validates what I said.. Audi and VW fake it, Porsche does not. Grim's post #5 in that thread jives with what Porsche says. They may resonate it to get the sound they want, but it's all from the engine. There is no speaker or other gimmicks. Porsche prides themselves on the sound of their engines, it's one of the reasons they even let you hear it on the confusilator.
FYI it's not 'jives' it's 'jibes' with a 'b'.
Class dismissed!
Louie Zoi likes this.

Rhodium Silver, Luxor beige, brushed alum, Prem Package Plus-14 way, PDLS, Bose, auto dim mirrors, heated seats frt & rear, steering wheel, vented frt seats, pano roof, entry and drive, delete model, smoker pack, park assist frt & rear with surround camera, 20" sports with colored crest, crest on front head rest. Lane change assist, Received 3/18/16 MY2017.