26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Default GTS vs. SQ5 vs. F-Pace vs. 918 Spyder

Ok, so I'm kidding about the 918.

I'm new here. Never thought I'd be considering a Porsche. Bought my wife an Audi Q7 recently and that's infected me with the new car bug. I currently have a '13 WRX, which I really like, but it's been a rather tough winter and I'm looking for something with a little more ground clearance. I thought about an SQ5, since we already have an Audi, but I'm waiting to see what the new ones look like. I'm not overly impressed with the styling of the current SQ5s. And there are Audis all over the place here. In my research for a lux compact SUV, I ran across the F-Pace, and I honestly really like the look. But I've heard of the QC problems Jag has had, and even though a fully loaded 380 hp version with heads up display (!) would be $10-$15k less than my configured Macan, well, you get what you pay for. I haven't been a Cayenne person - a little too big for me. Haven't even considered Lexus, Mercedes, or BMW -- they all look bland to me. But I've been drawn to the Macan pretty much since I first ran across it. Seems to have what I desire --- a fast car for the kid in me but a practical car for a dad of three. I'm glad Porsche has the GTS, as I feel like that's a more affordable option for me, and I think 360 hp is enough. Seems to have all the features I'd want and I love the idea of the air suspension.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning more and I'm glad to see a whole site devoted to a car that it seems is enjoyed by the members here.
SoCalS5, rigelt, fritz and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 04:58 AM

Mentioned: 499 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)

@XBones If you drive a GTS it would surprise me to even hear you mention the other cars . The Macan is the king in its class . The main winning feature is PDK . The efficiency of the double clutch mated to the turbo engine allows the car to maintain boost on upshifts and smoothly downshift. Porsche has nearly perfected this component !! Beyond that you mention the air suspension which on the GTS comes with a tweaked suspension for improved handling . And beyond that the fit and finish of the car is just superb .

In my opinion the Macan GTS is the best price/performance value in the entire Porsche line up .
jzwu, Luke, jcar and 3 others like this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Garage

get the GTS (not that I have one ,have an S) but you will be very pleased

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage

I started off all set to purchase an SQ5 until I test drove the Macan. The Macan is much sportier both inside and out and handles better. It was night and day between the two. The GTS seems like the sweet spot in the group. Can't wait to get mine and report back!

2017 Macan GTS
Night Blue Metallic
Premium Package Plus | 20" Black RS Spyder Wheels | 14 Way Seats | Seat Ventilation | Heated Steering Wheel | Smoking Package | Cargo Management System | Garnet Red Seat Belts | Lane Change Assist | Brushed Aluminum Interior in Black | Navigation Module
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

Given there is an update due for the Q5 platform later this year, I myself couldn't see any reason to consider it. The current SQ5 just felt outdated to me. Hopefully with some of the tech and weight loss features the new Q7 the next gen model will be a worthy consideration
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Garage

I just replaced my 2014 SQ5 with the Turbo at the end of January. I was happy with the SQ5, but the Macan is a totally different animal. It's much sportier & handles far better than the Audi did. The Audi is much tamer & softer riding than the Macan. I expect that you'll be very happy with the GTS.

2016 Macan Turbo in Dark Blue Metallic.
2016 Boxster GTS Carmine Red
2008 911 Turbo Cabriolet Speed Yellow
2016 Ford F-150 Limited
2017 Porsche GT3-RS Lava Orange (LEGO)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBones View Post
Seems to have what I desire --- a fast car for the kid in me but a practical car for a dad of three.
Good luck with your new car search. This sentence is the only thing that would give me pause. Three kids and your wife are going to be a tight fit, unless you will rarely be in that situation or will only be taking short trips.
Jammer and SoCalS5 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017 White GTS
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I had a 2014 SQ5 and now have a 2017 Macan GTS. The GTS is leagues ahead of the SQ5. Spot plus mode - enough said.

Whit
Sutton Ma
2017 Macan GTS
Carrara White
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)

How about the Maserati Levante?

You'll get a nice SUV whatever you choose.

S Diesel / 20” RS Wheels Colored Crest/ Agate Grey / Black Leather Package / Heated Front Seats / Heated Steering Wheel / Automatic Dimming Mirrors / Gloss Black Window Trim / Privacy Glass / 14-way Seats / 3-Zone / Comfort Lighting / LCA / ACC-PAS / Smokers Package / PCM / Park Assist with Camera / Bluetooth / Model Delete / PASM / AS - Picked-up 22/10/2015
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
Good luck with your new car search. This sentence is the only thing that would give me pause. Three kids and your wife are going to be a tight fit, unless you will rarely be in that situation or will only be taking short trips.
OP just bought a Q7. The GTS is a perfect stable mate

Macan GTS - carmine red, agate/pebble gray
991.2 Cab - gt silver, black/bordeaux red, manual, PSE
991 Turbo S - sapphire blue, espresso