Porsche Macan Forum banner

Did you keep your Macan order a secret?

Tell Every One or Tell No One?

26K views 80 replies 53 participants last post by  ilumo 
#1 Ā·
Your opinion?

I know many people can't answer this yet in that the Macan will be their first Porsche, but even if this is your first p-car, I'm sure you can project and predict other people's reactions to your new car. What is Mom and Dad going to think? How about your friends or siblings?

Price doesn't matter either. Base 981s are roughly the same cost as Macan S.

So, what will it be? Will you tell others of your new Macan or keep it to yourself (obviously an online forum among auto enthusiasts doesn't count)?

#2 Ā·
While we haven't quite ordered the Macan yet, when we do, it will be kept to ourselves. Back in 2012, when I took delivery of our new M3, folks at work/neighbours were very surprised. Some even remarked "why didn't you say anything"? My response was "why"? I do things for myself and my family, not for others, or to evoke a response/reaction.

Infact, to this day, I still drive our '99 CRV to work on a daily basis so as not to create perception/bias amongst my coworkers and management.

A

#4 Ā·
Actually, this is a huge issue with me.

My wife and I come from blue collar and clerical (as in clerk, not clergy, ha ha) white collar backgrounds, respectively. Our families accepted our RX300 and 330i's when they were new 14 years ago, but now that we are thinking of stepping up to Porsche, I fear that we will be treated differently. Some relatives have complained about "living paycheck to paycheck", and "I'd never be able to afford the house you live in", and even "who do you plan to leave your money to?" (we are child-free). My wife's response to the latter was priceless. She said, "everyone will buy a Mercedes and wish we had died earlier".

So do we drive our B car to visit the relatives like when we shop at Target?

What do we tell the niece who can't afford to go to college or the aunt who needs to move to assisted living? That our Porsche is more important?

It is of course. But I'd rather not be outed as a complete a$$hole.

#10 Ā·
Actually, this is a huge issue with me. ...

"who do you plan to leave your money to?" (we are child-free). My wife's response to the latter was priceless. She said, "everyone will buy a Mercedes and wish we had died earlier".

So do we drive our B car to visit the relatives like when we shop at Target?

What do we tell the niece who can't afford to go to college or the aunt who needs to move to assisted living? That our Porsche is more important?

It is of course. But I'd rather not be outed as a complete a$$hole.
"Oh lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz. My friends all drive Porsches ..." Mercedes Benz, by GERALD Levert and ANDY Gibson, sung by Janis Joplin.

I hear ya and have empathy. :eek:

This is exactly the issue, at least for those not from wealthy families.

#5 Ā·
This thread is great! I think we need Dr Phil to respond to each post ;)

Reactions: GULFER1
This post has been deleted
#6 Ā·
Dan, start reading this blog and all problems with your girlfriend and future girlfriends will be solved:

The Best of Rational Male ā€“ Year One |

I highly recommend his book too, although this page has links to most of what you'll need. Skim any less relevant parts, but finish the whole thing before you form an opinion and especially before you deal with your current girl friend. Thank me (much) later.
Thanks :) Its tough isn't it! Females just don't get it. :mad:

#11 Ā· (Edited)
I wouldn't worry about it. People are going to think what they're going to think. No point in modifying your lifestyle out of fear that others will have some negative perceptions. They either like you for you who are, orā€¦screw 'em.

I'll also say that it seems the people who are worried about this are mostly the ones with entry-level Porsches (Macans, Boxsters, Caymans) and/or first-time buyers. Those who have been driving Porsches for a while are typically way past caring what others think.

#12 Ā·
I didn't keep it to myself.....now I wish I would have.

I work in engineering, at an engine company, with about every type of motorsport nut imaginable. If it's got an engine on it, there is someone I work with who has devoted their life to it....raced it (often on national circuits)....or are die hard enthusiasts. I've shared that I'm getting a Porsche with a few of my coworkers / friends (some because I knew they would appreciate it). Since it will be my DD, it would come out this summer anyway.

Remarks have been mixed, some enthusiastic, some curious (why Porsche...why not BMW, Mercedes...why an SUV), a few have jealous type remarks ("you must make more than me"). But almost all positive.

Until this week.....a coworker and friend I've worked with for years found out I had a Macan ordered (via another friend). His reaction was loud, anger filled, and about 5 minutes of him calling me "stupid", "idiotic", for wasting money on a car. I pointed out he had plenty of toys, a cabin up north, etc.....which he justified as "investments". The reaction....specifically the anger just surprised me, and I was a bit flustered. He continued on saying I should grow up and stop trying to fill the void in my life with toys (he's been pressuring me to have kids).

That's when I called his kids a terrible investment .....

(I still feel -kinda- bad for that)

#13 Ā·
Something is obviously wrong with him. He's projecting his own self-esteem issues onto you. I'm laughing at your comment about his kids! He deserved it.

#18 Ā·
Great question.

There's a lot of nuances and there's going to be as many different reactions as people you know/meet. There's also a bag of "ill-informed" who will assume that it cost 2x more than reality...which isn't just porsche-specific: I discovered this one years ago when I got a new Mercedes c230K for $28K and yet was told by a colleague that I must have had spent $60K plus.

In general, the way I look at it is that I won't flaunt it, nor will I deny if asked.

Some of my coworkers know about my Macan order ... But then again, much of the office already is aware that I have a summer toy '85 911 and also that I've had it forever. The immediate peer group knows that I "buy and hold" on my cars and I've reminded them that my daily driver is 12 years old and "due". So even though this will be a daily driver, I don't expect much grief...at least at work.

Closer to home, well.....there is a challenge there in that there is some extended family whose personal life choices has resulted in their lack of financial prosperity that any perceived expenditure on our part (not just cars) may cause waves. Sad, but... In any case, I won't be announcing it on Facebook (especially photos), nor making a point to "brag" about it, as I don't want to get into another "...can you loan us..." cycle with repayment terms of never, nor any other Internet-based trouble. Fortunately, those relatives now live an airline flight away, so rental cars are used on visits.

-hh

#19 Ā· (Edited)
I'll try and leave this one up. I know one of my co-workers will probably see it though. I kinda let the cat out of the bag when I was crunching #'s under a category called 'RED SEATS'. I told one guy because he asked what the #'s were for, and it spread shortly thereafter. Problem is, I JUST got a promotion & moved to a new office! Everyone there is new to my life and I really don't want to come across as 'that guy' Most are 'supportive', but I don't know how sincere they really are. Im only 32 & although everyone in our field @ my office makes well over 6 figures, most don't drive Porsches, especially a 32 year old. Even the big boss knows. We had a meeting the other day & we were required to drop our cell phones in a box when entering the meeting & he bought packs of new toy cars to give us to play with during the meeting so we could fidget with something in our hands since we didn't have our phones. When he got to me, he said aloud 'I dont have a white Porsche for you Dan, but I do have a white whatever this is'! I don't know if he supports me, or its going to come back & bite me in the ass once I get it. I told everyone that 'It wasnt true & I was going to get a Jeep' :) LOL! The only problem is when I went to submit my hotel room service expense report from a recent conference in London, the down payment came up as the next charge on my CC bill & I had to submit it LOL. At least it was only seen by one of the ladies in the office. Also, my GF was VERY VERY upset I ordered this car. This almost caused 'THE END' for us. We are still not seeing eye to eye on this & she is having a difficult time relating to this. As for family, they are fine w/ it. Neighbors, I could care less since I just moved into my new house in December, I dont know anyone here. They might wonder who this kid is that just moved into this nice house, ALONE & now pulls up in a Porsche everyday. Oh well, I don't know anyone anyway! You live life once! Enjoy! Screw the haters! We all share the same 24 hours in a day. I work hard & I want to enjoy myself.

#20 Ā· (Edited)
The only question here will be: what's wrong with Cayenne?

Back home (someday, if Macan will follow me), reaction will be quite the opposite. The only explanation I am going to use is that I have always pursued for the best option within relevant parameters. Macan S is exactly that for me.

My willingness to pay 30% premium against "similarly" optioned Audi Q5 3.0T will not be understood and I won't even try. However, I will feel at least that difference every time I drive my Macan and that is enough for me.

#21 Ā·
I'm in the don't care basket.. I don't broadcast it, people ask, I answer.. There are people who are going to be frustrated and jealous of you and there are your real friends who will be happy for you that your spending your hard earned $$$ on something you enjoy. There are far worse habits.... :lol:

Ill agree with divexxtreme comments there.. Very true I've noticed

#22 Ā·
Although not a secret by any means I've only told my inner circle of friends and family. All of which at some level are either car enthusiasts or just love me because they have too. :) As for the rest, I don't go out of my way to tell them because I cannot imagine they'd care, or I'm not interested in their opinion or, like others here have said, they haven't asked or the topic just hasn't come up yet.

I will comment that this is pretty much typical for me in past car purchases too.

Reactions: Old Tiger
#24 Ā·
Work hard for yourself and your family. Enjoy life, because it is short.

I prefer something a little button down without too much bling, that is one of the reason why I love Audi S cars so much. They are not screaming for attention. There was a time I would drive a more reasonable priced car to outside meetings so I don't get any negative attachment. And I know others who do the same. So I have no plan to tell everyone I ordered a new Macan S. But in NYC, I think the Macan S will blend in nicely.

#27 Ā·
I'm in the "don't care" group. People think and care too much about what others think about them. In any case, there are 911's, caymans, panamera's, m3/m5s, jags, all kinds of audis, maseratis etc where I work. There is more curiosity over the macan than anything else.

#29 Ā·
This is a really huge purchase for me. I'm telling a few family members and car enthusiast buddies, but that is about it. So far the response has been very positive, but they all get the Porsche "thing". And frankly some of them thought I should have moved away from VW's a long time ago. So I just bypassed Audi and went straight for the real deal.

Reactions: Antidentite
#30 Ā·
My family is back home in Eastern Europe so I am fine :). As far as friends goes, they all have at least a BWM (including M editions), Mercedes (including AMG variants), two of them have Porsches and one a Ferrari on order. It doesn't hurt that half of my friends are doctors so my and my wife are amongst the "poorest" in our circle of friends. :p

I am more concerned with what the nanny is going to think ;). I plan to not tell the coworkers/boss, at least for a while. This Porsche is going to be the most expensive car we ever bought but my coworkers know I am a car nut thus I think they'll understand eventually.

Reactions: IvanC
#32 Ā·
The case of Macan is different from other Porsche cars. If you buy a 911 or Cayman or Boxter, people simply just can't rationalise your choice. They would think and say why spend 60k+ on a 2 seats 2 door, small car ? and most of them or maybe all of them never drive one, so they don't know what they are missing.

The case of Macan is similar to the evoque. It will be so common and popular, that It will just get normal and ordinary to people eyes. There will be Macan in every street and at every corner, trust me ! , specially if Porsche releases the 4 cylinder and relatively cheap one. It will be the most rational and justifiable Porsche car amongst majority of people because they will see the practicality and value of it.

The thing is that Macan is kind of a value oriented Porsche car (Yes, you read it right!), It has CDR+ and 8 way power seat as standard, just these two options alone can cost you around 4 to 5k in other Porsche cars. Even upgrading Macan is less costly than others, for example if you want to get the adaptive cruise and active safe option, it will cost $1600 but it costs more than 2k in other Porsche cars or PDLS etc.

But then again, those who get it, will get it and those who don't get it, won't.

#33 Ā·
Your Macan Order - Keep it secret until or tell your friends?

My wife keeps on asking me when I'm going to tell my friends and family that I've ordered a new car and the type of car it is. I've been looking at a new car for about three years now, so this is a topic of conversation we've had often, and has come up with friends and family as well.

I'm not going to tell anyone since I'd like to have it in my possession before I disclose this, but it's a tough one to keep under wraps since I've still got three months to go and I'm really excited about it.

How did you approach it?

#34 Ā·
Your approach mimics mine almost exactly @Antidentite. The exception is that I've told my few car enthusiast friends that I will have a new car this March/April and if they can guess what it is, I will confirm a correct answer. They haven't come close so I've had to narrow the clues down. (1) A vehicle that didn't exist prior to 2014 and (2) a trim line that will not be available until February. The thing throwing them off is that they can't imagine I'd buy a CUV.

#36 Ā·
I should add that once I do get my Macan, I do not plan on making a big announcement (no social media posts, telling anyone who will listen, etc.). For non-enthusiasts I think buying a Porsche often comes with certain connotations/perceptions that do not represent me, so I want to avoid that if possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.