User Tag List

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Default Source for clear side marker lights

Wasn't sure exactly where to put this post, so mod's please feel free to move as desired.

I've located a source for clear side marker light lenses and am putting out feelers to see if anyone else would be interested in purchasing as well? Note: these are the LENSES only, not the whole assembly. I have not disassembled mine to see how difficult it may be to swap the lenses only, and perhaps someone that has investigated this can chime in to let the masses know. I'm also not trying to make a profit here, but rather just seeing if a group buy of sorts would help mitigate the cost of the setup fee for fabrication. He needs to 3D scan the original amber lenses in order to produce a clear version, which takes some time and effort that he should be compensated for.

The fabricator indicates that they will be clear ABS plastic lenses, but the fabrication process he uses will prevent them from being ultra clear. I'm not too worried about it personally, as the inside face of the lens is heavily textured anyway, assuming to aid in light refraction and distribution. Others may feel differently and I totally respect that, but I hate the amber lenses with a passion and am willing to accept the risk of possible disappointment. I am just too tired of waiting for someone to produce an aftermarket version.

Please let me know if you have an interest in purchasing a pair. The number of those interested will determine how much they will cost, but I am estimating somewhere in the $30-40 USD range per set, plus shipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)

The whole thing is one assembly. I certainly don't posses the skills to break that amber lens off and glue a new one on water tight. I got used to my painted side markers by now and feel they do the trick just fine. But good luck and hope it works out for you. And please post pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161013_093325.jpg (88.3 KB, 156 views)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

Yes a watertight seal is not as easy as it may seem. Even if you do get it watertight it may only last a year or a few months before you start to see condensation inside. Trust me take it for me I have done many headlight retrofits where I would bake headlights to open them up and make projectors and LED strips inside. The end result would look awesome and watertight but eventually water always finds a way in.

I too would like waiting for a company to actually remanufacture our side markers as a direct retrofit. Not sure why it is taking so long.
brmacans and jcar like this.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Seems as though I should have been a couple of hours more patient before making my post and getting hopes up. My sincere apologies. I just received a sample of the product and the optical quality is horrendous. It is more opaque than clear, and I would simply go with Bumperplugs before something that looks so "milky".

Thanks to @trusted and @Macster for the input.

I'm going to go pout now, and try my patience waiting for a manufactured solution. Someone PLEASE get these into production!!!
MDJAK and fritz like this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Why don't you tint the orange with a dark greyish-black film?
Would look so much better than the orange and the light will still penetrate through...

Did that a couple of years ago with my orange side indicators, worked like a charm.
There are several sprays out there, but these days you should find some wrapping film that does the same thing.
Skinsfan likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
Why don't you tint the orange with a dark greyish-black film?
Would look so much better than the orange and the light will still penetrate through...

Did that a couple of years ago with my orange side indicators, worked like a charm.
There are several sprays out there, but these days you should find some wrapping film that does the same thing.
Not a bad idea for a temporary fix until someone makes the clears. I would have to imagine it won't be long now, but then again, I've been saying that for over a year now...
Roadster likes this.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage

I went the route of just putting some smoke tint over mine. Not the greatest solution but actually gets the job done.

Skinsfan, WHT TGR, jcar and 2 others like this.

2016 Porsche Macan Turbo
2017 BMW M3
2000 BMW M Roadster
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakko View Post
Seems as though I should have been a couple of hours more patient before making my post and getting hopes up. My sincere apologies. I just received a sample of the product and the optical quality is horrendous. It is more opaque than clear, and I would simply go with Bumperplugs before something that looks so "milky".

Thanks to @trusted and @Macster for the input.

I'm going to go pout now, and try my patience waiting for a manufactured solution. Someone PLEASE get these into production!!!
Thank you for trying
windblow and Byakko like this.

PHPVCQT5
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 05:25 PM
FJG

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

I ordered the tint from Suncoast. Not too expensive, and "reversible" if you don't like the result...

MACFILM Side Marker Film - Macan 1 $18.95
P623: Charcoal

My car will be silver with many black accents, so thinking super-dark on these won't be too out of place.

2017 Macan S: Rhodium Silver | Black & Garnet Red Leather | 20" Sport Design Wheels | Sport+ Chrono | Porsche Torque Vector+ | Porsche Active Suspension Mgmt Air | Sport Exhaust in Silver | Premium Pkg+ | LED Headlights | 18-way Seats | Adaptive Cruise Ctrl & Porsche Active Safe | Park Assist Surround-View | Lane-Keep Assist & Lane-Chg Assist | Porsche Connect (CarPlay) | Black Roof-Rails | Black Logos | Black Door Handles | Black Thule AeroBlade Edge Roof Crossbars
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJG View Post
I ordered the tint from Suncoast. Not too expensive, and "reversible" if you don't like the result...

MACFILM Side Marker Film - Macan 1 $18.95
P623: Charcoal

My car will be silver with many black accents, so thinking super-dark on these won't be too out of place.
Yes, I saw these too, but am now thinking that the blackouts will look a little off with my white paint. I even stopped by a Porsche Dealer today and the parts guy (super nice guy too) said that this was one of the most popular requests they hear. Maybe someone will listen!
bdawgMacan likes this.