What has changed since 2014 .. a list . - Porsche Macan Forum
User Tag List

 32Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
yrralis1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: South Florida
Posts: 4,527
Mentioned: 502 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Default What has changed since 2014 .. a list .

After reading @Skinsfan mention of past discussions from years ago on an S vs Turbo I thought about the fact that some might read discussions from three years ago . The problem is that those discussions were relevant for that time but do not act as a snapshot of today . Of course there are a few items which haven't changed but so much has . So i wrote this list to show it : (Just a heads up that I am not as good as @alex_c at writing lists.)

1) In 2014 the 15 cars were launched in limited production . Dealerships were given allocation build slots . Nowadays the cars are EVERYWHERE .

2) Back then discounts were few to none . Today they range from 3-8.5 percent .

3) 2014 only had an S and a Turbo . Today there is a GTS , a base car , and a Turbo PP. This has caused a HUGE shift in market dynamics .

4) There aws no used market in 2014. In fact the cars were all pre ordered and new . Today there is a tremendous used market to consider on top of an overflowing new car market.

5) 2014 was the launch of the vehicle . It meant no drastic changes were expected . Today the cycle is nearing a close and a refresh is soon to become a reality . How soon is anyones guess but it is much closer than compared to 2014.

6) Pricing was lower in 2014 . In fact many Macan S cars with modest options priced similar to base cars with those same options today . 3 zone AC was an option and now its standard. Sport classic wheels and sport exhaust were not available . In short .. less choices then and more now which also effects price.

Each item might be a topic in itself . The point of listing them is to show that times and market conditions have changed so a debate on S Vs Turbo or an option or a price plan then might not be identical with a similar discussion in the present .

There might even be more to add to the list so at least its here to be opened up as a topic.
yrralis1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Default

What surprises me is the appeal of the aesthetics. When the Macan first came out I test drove one and debated between it and the Audi Q5 TDI. At the time I really loved the look of the Q5 and only "liked" the Macan. I went with the Q5. Now, just a couple of years later and I love the look of the Macan. It is truly unique in the rapidly expanding world of smaller SUVs. I still like the look of the Q5, but much prefer the look of my soon to be here GTS now. I have noticed that with other styling changes or new introductions over the years that sometimes what doesn't appeal to me at first grows on me over time. \_(ツ)_/
Louie Zoi and Bodie217 like this.

2017 Porsche Macan GTS
2008 Porsche Cayenne
2007 Porsche 911 Cabriolet
2006 Mercedes SL55 AMG
1990 Jeep Wrangler (LS engine conversion)
1965 Mustang Coupe
2015 Audi Q5 TDI (sold)
2014 Tesla Model S P85 (sold)
2010 Mustang GT 5 speed (sold)
2004 Corvette Lemans edition (sold)
1973 Corvette 454 big block (sold)
justicepool is online now  
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 02:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Default

Once again you guys based in the US miss a major section of the Porsche market an that is the rest of the world where SUVs and in particular the Macan are powered by diesel engines.

The diesel powered Macan has outsold all other variants by quite a ratio.

Hence at launch there was the SD, S and Turbo.

Since launch in addition to the changes mentioned there have been one significant change that is the new PCM and as you say the inclusion of items as standard that were once extras, (connect, mobile phone bluetooth, third heating/cooling controls etc).

What has changed is the range of models in the size range by more manufacturers, Jaguars FPace, Alfas Stelvio, the Mercs, Tesla etc these offer buyers more choice and will impact upon the Macan unless Porsche develop our beloved car in a correct manner.

The FPace is a different breed the market segment that it is aimed at family and not sporting drivers and what will be its most popular engine is a 2.0 diesel which just happens to be the most popular engine in the X3 and Q5.

Interesting times ahead especially since the spy shots we have all seen do not show any radical changes to the external appearance other than the Panamera bar on the rear.

Macan 1 S diesel, spec scimilar to Turbo
Macan 2 Turbo, Air, PASM, 14 way, SC, PS+, Spyders, Surround Cam, LEDs, Met Black, Garnet, Pano, Privacy Glass, ACC, Alloy PDK, SD mirrors, Interior light and storage packs.
TheBrit is offline  
 
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
yrralis1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: South Florida
Posts: 4,527
Mentioned: 502 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrit View Post
Once again you guys based in the US miss a major section of the Porsche market an that is the rest of the world where SUVs and in particular the Macan are powered by diesel engines.

The diesel powered Macan has outsold all other variants by quite a ratio.

Hence at launch there was the SD, S and Turbo.

Since launch in addition to the changes mentioned there have been one significant change that is the new PCM and as you say the inclusion of items as standard that were once extras, (connect, mobile phone bluetooth, third heating/cooling controls etc).

What has changed is the range of models in the size range by more manufacturers, Jaguars FPace, Alfas Stelvio, the Mercs, Tesla etc these offer buyers more choice and will impact upon the Macan unless Porsche develop our beloved car in a correct manner.

The FPace is a different breed the market segment that it is aimed at family and not sporting drivers and what will be its most popular engine is a 2.0 diesel which just happens to be the most popular engine in the X3 and Q5.

Interesting times ahead especially since the spy shots we have all seen do not show any radical changes to the external appearance other than the Panamera bar on the rear.

I was hoping ( and glad) to see some things added to the list . I want to comment on a few things .

1) The diesel - I drove a cayenne diesel and liked the vehicle . It felt like a true SUV . Diesels even before the VW scandal have just not been popular (especially in South Florida where I live) .

I am not sure how the Macan would have done with a diesel in the absence of the VW debacle . I would not have bought one . My first taste of the Macan was a Turbo and that's where I was going with it no matter what they offered.

2) Good call on the PCM -- I forgot it on my list.

3) I didnt discuss the competition because I limited the points only to the Macan . However you do raise a good point by mentioning it. Despite being three years old in the cycle the Macan is still number 1 . I would not let the spy shots confuse the idea that Porsche might not take the Macan to a seriously higher level . It's their bread and butter car . Porsche has to hit a perfect score on a refresh to keep the Macan on top of its game .
TheBrit likes this.
yrralis1 is offline  
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Default

The diesel Macan has a great engine, its the Audi 3.0 unit.

The sad thing is that it is detuned compared to the SQ5 which uses the diesel engine in the EU and in the SQ5 it has 330 bhp whereas in the Macan it is only 256 bhp.

Do not get me wrong the SD is like greased lightning and feels far faster up to 50 mph than all petrol engined Macans.

Had Porsche put more bhp into the diesel it would outsell all others by a huge margin, such is the potential.

In fact a guy in Europe has had his diesel tuned by a Porsche Engineer and it produces 475 bhp and over 700 ft lbs of torque.

Macan 1 S diesel, spec scimilar to Turbo
Macan 2 Turbo, Air, PASM, 14 way, SC, PS+, Spyders, Surround Cam, LEDs, Met Black, Garnet, Pano, Privacy Glass, ACC, Alloy PDK, SD mirrors, Interior light and storage packs.
TheBrit is offline  
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 4,863
Mentioned: 1087 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2552 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrit View Post
Once again you guys based in the US miss a major section of the Porsche market an that is the rest of the world where SUVs and in particular the Macan are powered by diesel engines. ...Hence at launch there was the SD, S and Turbo
ROFL, not quite. I agree, we in the US tend to think that we are the world, but you have it wrong too In fact the Base Macan was ALSO part of the 2014 Launch, it just happened to be launched in China. https://www.autoevolution.com/news/n...ers-84015.html The launch schedule, which is buried somewhere in this forum, ran from Dec, 2013 through a good part of 2014 (May, 2014 in the US).

correction 2014 not 2015
Skinsfan and BossHoss like this.

Last edited by grim; 06-19-2017 at 03:45 PM.
grim is offline  
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:11 PM
Senior Member
 
notmac1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vancouver,Wa
Posts: 452
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Garage
Smile Rescued

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim View Post
ROFL, not quite. I agree, we in the US tend to think that we are the world, but you have it wrong too In fact the Base Macan was ALSO part of the 2014 Launch, it just happened to be launched in China. https://www.autoevolution.com/news/n...ers-84015.html The launch schedule, which is buried somewhere in this forum, ran from Dec, 2013 through a good part of 2015 (May, 2014 in the US).
Once again @grim to the rescue err (correction) he he
grim and Louie Zoi like this.
notmac1 is offline  
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 03:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Default

I had a 2015 Audi Q5 with the 3.0 TDI. I loved the diesel engine. Just didn't love the subpar (in my opinion) leather and paint on the Audi.

2017 Porsche Macan GTS
2008 Porsche Cayenne
2007 Porsche 911 Cabriolet
2006 Mercedes SL55 AMG
1990 Jeep Wrangler (LS engine conversion)
1965 Mustang Coupe
2015 Audi Q5 TDI (sold)
2014 Tesla Model S P85 (sold)
2010 Mustang GT 5 speed (sold)
2004 Corvette Lemans edition (sold)
1973 Corvette 454 big block (sold)
justicepool is online now  
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 03:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Brockville, Ontario
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrit View Post
The diesel Macan has a great engine, its the Audi 3.0 unit.

The sad thing is that it is detuned compared to the SQ5 which uses the diesel engine in the EU and in the SQ5 it has 330 bhp whereas in the Macan it is only 256 bhp.

Do not get me wrong the SD is like greased lightning and feels far faster up to 50 mph than all petrol engined Macans.

Had Porsche put more bhp into the diesel it would outsell all others by a huge margin, such is the potential.

In fact a guy in Europe has had his diesel tuned by a Porsche Engineer and it produces 475 bhp and over 700 ft lbs of torque.

I used to own a 2011 Q7 TDI and I loved that vehicle--loved the low end torque which made it feel very quick especially if you put the transmission in sport mode. I ended up selling it with the intention of upgrading to a newer model. Literally three weeks after the sale of my Q7--Dieselgate. At the time I had a deposit on a 2016 Q7 TDI. Ended up cancelling the order and got my deposit back


I ended up buying a Macan S and I can tell you that with a Cobb Protune, there is so much low RPM torque, it feels faster than the TDI. I can just imagine what the Turbo must feel like with a Cobb tune. If only I had the extra money for the Turbo at the time of purchase....if only....(sigh)
notmac1 likes this.
Radguy is offline  
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas
Posts: 873
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Garage
Default

A few other options not available at launch: Park Assist with Surround View, Sport Design Package - just the SD Side Skirts, Sport Design Mirrors, Painted Rear Fascia, LED Headlights and maybe a few leather options but not 100% positive because I wasn't interested in anything but black. If I had only waited 2-3 months and all of them would have been available.

Where are all those early Turbo chest beating owners now? Probably moved on to something better...I bet they must be disappointed now!

Macan Turbo PP in Carmine Red with TEP, Opti-Coat Pro+, Expel Ultimate - aka "Redneck Sled" -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. First Macan - 2015 Macan S in Agate Grey with Epel Ultimate. Lowered with H&R Sport Springs and tuned with a Race Chip.
Skinsfan is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome