User Tag List

31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Default Favorite Road to Drive Your Macan

I just returned from a trip to the Ozark Mountains in northwest Arkansas. Macan Turbo. I'm still dizzy with twisting roads embedded inside my eyelids. 300 miles in a one day mapped road trip (cut short to 300 miles) consisting of two laned roads through forests with no stops and very few side road intersections and little traffic. Few short straightways – barely able to catch your breath from one turn before setting up for the next nearly blind curve. Not only continuously curving, 10, 20, 30, 40mph, aggressively posted curves (some 180 to 270 degrees,) but also, all the while, continuously dropping and ascending. Incredible response from the PDK transmission working in manual mode.

What's your favorite road?
Louie Zoi and fritz like this.

Last edited by mstraka; 06-10-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)

Tail of the Dragon on the NC/TN border. 318 curves in 11 miles, no intersections, and not too far from you since you are in the SE US. You'll see mostly bikes, but also some performance cars and sometimes even some exotics. Most are quite courteous and will even pull off and let you pass if you aren't too pushy. DO NOT CROSS THE PAINT. The cars with the blue lights are pretty cool until you cross a line - pun intended. They will ticket you in a second if you appear anything but 100% in control. They'll even look the other way for a little bit of speeding unless you are excessive. Scenery is nice too, especially when the leaves are changing, and there are a lot of great rides in this general area.
Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap ? Motorcycle and sport car tourism serving Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, Cherohala Skyway, Moonshiner28, Devils Triangle, Diamondback, Blue Ridge Parkway, and more.
TripleL, Skinsfan and Louie Zoi like this.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Its heavenly bliss. Like free track time except that nothing repeats itself. Hours of focus, and adrenaline gets one in a rhythm of car, driver and road ("in the groove") without fatigue. This is what our cars are principally designed for.

Arkansas publishes a free book for the asking 'Arkansas Motorcycling Guide.' Here's the PDF for viewing– https://issuu.com/arkansas/docs/2017...rcycling_guide
Louie Zoi likes this.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakko View Post
Tail of the Dragon on the NC/TN border.
Been there once with my Z4. Pretty, but won't do it again. Too much traffic, too many idiots. Had two bikers crash into the ditch within 5 minutes in front of me. One was inches from hitting me head on in a turn. I prefer the less travelled mountain roads in NC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the_dragon.jpg (248.3 KB, 45 views)
limulus likes this.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusted View Post
Been there once with my Z4. Pretty, but won't do it again. Too much traffic, too many idiots. Had two bikers crash into the ditch within 5 minutes in front of me. One was inches from hitting me head on in a turn. I prefer the less travelled mountain roads in NC.
Agreed. Your good time totally depends on the crowd and how everyone is behaving. My last trip was "opening day" this year (3/11/17) and it was amazing. Only about 40-50 bikes and maybe 15 cars on the entire stretch at a time. Unheard of, I know. There was one pass when I went approximately 4 miles before I even saw anyone.
Louie Zoi and limulus like this.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusted View Post
Do you recall where that happened? Other than highway 7, a main north/south scenic route, I experienced very little traffic and roadside distractions. Maybe for me it was the time of the year and also a weekday.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstraka View Post
Do you recall where that happened? Other than highway 7, a main north/south scenic route, I experienced very little traffic and roadside distractions. Maybe for me it was the time of the year and also a weekday.
I'm on their FB feed and it seems like there is an incident almost every weekend. I'm sure weekdays are better, and seasonal variations are to be expected with bikes.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstraka View Post
My comment was in regards to the "Tail of the Dragon" in NC/TN. I've been to the Ozark Mountains area you describe and there is much less traffic.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

CA 1 from Marin headed North then US101 North to Port Angeles, WA with a few detours in between.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtommy View Post
CA 1 from Marin headed North then US101 North to Port Angeles, WA with a few detours in between.
The other way is also as nice starting from SF zoo, Skyline Blvd, Hwy 1 to Monterey all the way to SLO.
Happy Blue likes this.