Macan Diesel for US in Our Future? - Porsche Macan Forum
User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Default Macan Diesel for US in Our Future?

Diesel Not Dead for Audi and Porsche in the U.S. | News | Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

I joined this forum waiting for the Macan diesel to make it here. It was scheduled to debut here for the 2017 model year and then dieselgate hit and those plans went kaput.

I am one to keep cars for usually at least 4-5 years but should the diesel come here, I will strongly consider it.

2017 Porsche Macan Base
2012 VW Touareg TDI Exec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)

I always wanted the diesel, but I am interested in the possibility of a hybrid Macan. Anyone heard anything "firm" yet?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Hybrid would be cool, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Porsche Macan Base
2012 VW Touareg TDI Exec

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I would also appreciate the Diesel torque that's available. It would be a rocket ... with good fuel economy!

Hybrids will come soon. 1-2 years.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)

I am in the UK and I owned the diesel or SD as we know it here.

Please do not set expectations for the engine and its performance in its current guise.

The large amount of torque is good and it does enable initially quite quick acceleration but then the acceleration rate slows very quickly.

A gas/petrol engined S will blitz the diesel all day and every day.

The diesel engine is an Audi sourced unit that in the SQ5 has 335 bhp yet in the Macan it only produces 256 and there is the problem.

Had Porsche given the Macan SD the same power then no doubt the popularity of other engine variant would suffer.

So if you are considering a diesel then keep your fingers crossed that if it is released in the States you get an uprated engine.

Now does the fact that I only had my diesel S for six months before changing it for a Turbo tell you something, for it should?
sfNative, ibemiked and CdnCarNut like this.

Macan 1 S diesel, spec scimilar to Turbo
Macan 2 Turbo, Air, PASM, 14 way, SC, PS+, Spyders, Surround Cam, LEDs, Met Black, Garnet, Pano, Privacy Glass, ACC, Alloy PDK, SD mirrors, Interior light and storage packs.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)

Diesel has no future. Neither here nor in the EU.
grim likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrit View Post
I am in the UK and I owned the diesel or SD as we know it here.

Please do not set expectations for the engine and its performance in its current guise.

The large amount of torque is good and it does enable initially quite quick acceleration but then the acceleration rate slows very quickly.

A gas/petrol engined S will blitz the diesel all day and every day.

The diesel engine is an Audi sourced unit that in the SQ5 has 335 bhp yet in the Macan it only produces 256 and there is the problem.

Had Porsche given the Macan SD the same power then no doubt the popularity of other engine variant would suffer.

So if you are considering a diesel then keep your fingers crossed that if it is released in the States you get an uprated engine.

Now does the fact that I only had my diesel S for six months before changing it for a Turbo tell you something, for it should?
I own a V6 Touareg TDI. Has over 103K. VW is buying it back. It's an Audi engine with 406 ft lbs of torque. Has been super-reliable and fun to drive.

I am not interested in blitzing the field. I am interested in a great daily driver with a combination of torque, efficiency, power when I need it, smooth acceleration and good mileage. I would think the next-gen V6 TDI will be even better. Whether we get it here is certainly an unknown.

2017 Porsche Macan Base
2012 VW Touareg TDI Exec
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusted View Post
Diesel has no future. Neither here nor in the EU.
Agree but it will be a phase out over the coming years. Still has it's place for SUVs but maybe not the Macan. It is a perfect powertrain for an SUV.

2017 Porsche Macan Base
2012 VW Touareg TDI Exec
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)

I personally think the diesel won't do well in the usa for these reasons:

American like big HP
Petrol is cheap in America and from an investment analysis standpoint, analysts predict that it will stay cheap for the next 5-10 years.
The diesel is slow, at least in the form that is sold in Europe now. I test drove it around the track at Leipzig.
How much better fuel economy would the diesel get in the USA vs the current 3.0L twin turbo in the S?

12/3/16 - Placed order for 2017 Macan S w/ European Delivery 3/21

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

White & Agate Grey : PDLS : Entry & Drive : Panoramic Roof : Auto-Dimming Mirrors : 14-way Power w/ Memory : Seat Heating F/R : Seat Ventilation : Bose : Trailer Hitch : 19" Turbo Wheels : Colored Porsche Crest : LCA : Heated Steering Wheel : Smoking Package : Leipzig
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)

In its present form if you are expecting high US mpg out of the diesel Macan you will be lucky to get over 30 miles to one of your US gallons.

In 6 months ownership and that included running it in my diesel S Macan achieved only 27 US MPG.

Do note that the diesel uses Addblu to achieve so called green emissions and that the particulate filter is very prone to blocking and going into limp home mode until a regeneration cycle can be undertaken.

The filter problems relate to diesels that are used for short journeys and that about an 1/2 hour drive with the engine at 2000+ rpm is required weekly to regenerate the system.

Do not get me wrong it is still a great engine, just possibly not what you expect. That said I would 100% rather have the SD engine than the 2.0 litre.

As it is I will stick to the Turbo despite its mpg, it has a proper Porsche engine after all
sfNative likes this.

Macan 1 S diesel, spec scimilar to Turbo
Macan 2 Turbo, Air, PASM, 14 way, SC, PS+, Spyders, Surround Cam, LEDs, Met Black, Garnet, Pano, Privacy Glass, ACC, Alloy PDK, SD mirrors, Interior light and storage packs.

Last edited by TheBrit; 05-05-2017 at 01:42 PM.