New to PORSCHE -do you guys tip your service advisors? - Porsche Macan Forum
User Tag List

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Default New to PORSCHE -do you guys tip your service advisors?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do you tip your SA's for either routine oil change visits or more extensive service appointments?
My father-in-law swears it gets him better service and pricing at his BMW dealer.
I haven't typically in the past for Audis or Range Rover dealerships.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2017 Macan S - Mahogany - Black/Luxor Leather; Premium Pkg +; LCA/LKA; Dark Walnut interior; Sat Nav; Heated steering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

Never.
programmatore likes this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)

No. And they wouldn't accept it at the spots i an familiar with.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Garage

I don't tip my SA but I did write him a thank you letter for helping me set up my delivery at the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta.

.:programmatore:.

2017 Porsche Macan GTS (Porsche Experience Center Atlanta Delivery #114)
2008 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Roadster
2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo (Gone)
2000 Porsche 996 Cabriolet (Gone)
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)

I always receive excellent service at my dealership. I feel like if I had bought a $1MM+ 918 from them. Immediate appointments when I call in, always a loaner available, and always chit-chat with them about the brand. After the service I let them know how much I appreciate the attention and will let it be known in the survey, which I do. I may also send a quick email to the Service Manager letting him know they are doing a great job. I'm sure they appreciate this much more than if I gave them a tip.

2017 Macan GTS. Volcano Gray, Black Leather Interior, Black RS Spyder Wheels /Summer Tires, Sports Aluminum PDK, Sport Mirrors, Adaptive Cruise / PAS, Ventilated Seats, Sport Chrono, PTV+, Surround View, Air Suspension / PASM, Black Roof Rails, PCM with Navigation, Lane Keep Assist, Lane Change Assist, LED Headlights, Smoking Package, 18-Way Seats, Premium Package Plus, Rear Sunblinds, Red GTS Logos, Chrome interior accents, Wireless Charger for iPhone, Armrest Tray, Smoked Side Reflectors.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Thanks all for the advice. Only had the car for 4 weeks so far and in twice already for a nail in the tire and a cracked/broken taillight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2017 Macan S - Mahogany - Black/Luxor Leather; Premium Pkg +; LCA/LKA; Dark Walnut interior; Sat Nav; Heated steering.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

I've bought three cars with the same SA during the last few years. First car was a 2008 base CPO Boxster. Offered him a nice bottle of wine for helping me during the whole process. For the second, a new Macan S, a thank you card and a gift certificate for la local restaurant where he enjoyed bringing his wife. And finally, when I traded my first Boxster for a 2013 model (again CPO) another bottle of wine. Each time, he was very thankful for the gesture. I don't expect anything in return. It's a small token of my appreciation for his time and patience during each transaction.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)

Isn't the tip rolled into the $400 plus oil changes?
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCH22 View Post
I've bought three cars with the same SA during the last few years. First car was a 2008 base CPO Boxster. Offered him a nice bottle of wine for helping me during the whole process. For the second, a new Macan S, a thank you card and a gift certificate for la local restaurant where he enjoyed bringing his wife. And finally, when I traded my first Boxster for a 2013 model (again CPO) another bottle of wine. Each time, he was very thankful for the gesture. I don't expect anything in return. It's a small token of my appreciation for his time and patience during each transaction.
Curious what you do when you buy a house?
grim, Shark and iconoclast like this.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)

To the OP: Do you live in NYC? For some reason, it is common to tip everyone you cross paths with who does not kill you in NYC. I'm just kidding...a little. But, no, I will not tip my service guy on this car or any other car I own. I will never own anything more expensive than this car and yes, I can afford a car much more expensive w/o going into debt. If someone goes above and beyond their normal job expectations, I will tip them. For example, my daughter was home from college over the holidays and her windshield on a Nissan has been really problematic and foggy during rain. We could not get it to remain clear during rain no matter what we tried. It had a film that we could not clear. I finally called Safelite to just put in a new windshield. The guy showed up early and refused to put in a new windshield. He insisted he had cleaning supplies that I could not buy that would clean her windshield. He was right and I gave him $50 for his effort. But a service guy who is just following procedure, nope, I will not tip. Even if this is a $200k GT3...especially if it cost that much. As a matter of fact, my sales rep has scored at least one additional sale because of me. He thanked me for my recommendation and that is enough for me.
Shark likes this.

2017 GTS White/Red ordered 22 Nov 2016 /PEC ATL delivery number 223 on March 7, 2017