If you were a Porsche designer/engineer..... - Page 3 - Porsche Macan Forum
User Tag List

149Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 158 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 170 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)

Not really sure where you read that you need to get the Alcantara steering wheel to get the proper feel. I have the leather one and it is by far the best steering wheel I ever had in any car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
This thread has been most helpful for someone like myself, not a current owner but thinking about buying a Macan as my daily driver. It would be in 2018.

I understand the pluses of Porsche and higher performance cars, but what I wanted to know more about before making a decision is if there are some minuses that I just canít live with in a dd. I donít know for sure yet if the pluses outweigh the minuses for me--- and itís all personal opinion here. I'm not interested in driving a performance dog as my dd, but I also get performance elsewhere in my garage. I need to find the balance between performance and convenience for my dd.

I know from what I have read so far I might have to go with the Alcantara steering wheel option to get the proper feel, and I must learn to live with a few things that I realistically canít do anything about, such as the size of the steering wheel, possible rattles, sun visors that are too small, pita fog light switch operation, and relatively ugly rear wiper placement.

Iíll keep reading, and figure it out. Thanks for the good info.

Delivered on 02/11/2015: Macan S Agate Gray | Black Int w/carbon fiber | 20" RS with colored crest cap | 14-way Seats | PASM/AS | Prem+ | High Gloss Trim | Rear Fascia and Side Blades painted | Park Assist/cam | Heated Steering Wheel | LCA | 3-Zone | Smoking Pkg | Comfort Lighting |

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 158 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by santastico View Post
Not really sure where you read that you need to get the Alcantara steering wheel to get the proper feel. I have the leather one and it is by far the best steering wheel I ever had in any car.
It's not a need, it's a personal preference. And I didn't read it word for word, I thought it. What I did read in this thread is that some people did not like the steering wheel feel, and what they wrote about why that is so, in general I agreed with because I have also experienced same before. And since I have a factory Alcantara steering wheel in my Z/28 and like the feel better than the leather one in my Ferrari and Porsche, that's where the comment came from.
post #23 of 158 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Garage

+1 on the AC vent replacement so it doesn't freeze/microwave my hand while driving.

Also, put a missile system that would detect and destroy another car that parks right next to mine when I already parked anti-socially far away from the entrance.
RJMcInnis, WHT TGR, fritz and 3 others like this.

post #24 of 158 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)

Regarding the AC, I actually like it that it blows right into my hand, sometimes when I switched the AC to split between the top and bottom of the car, I actually hated it that it cut down the air that blows to my hand.

I also like the comfort mode sometimes.

Macan GTS....2017 Porsche Year.
post #25 of 158 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 09:49 PM
RJE

Quoted: 80 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Tjokro View Post
Also, put a missile system that would detect and destroy another car that parks right next to mine when I already parked anti-socially far away from the entrance.
I see a bit of a flaw in this option. Letting go a missile while parked right next to the target might result in a bit of undesired collateral damage. I think the concept has merit, but the execution might require a bit of tweaking.

Waited patiently (?) for GTS ordered May 15, September 6 birthday, picked up October 21.
post #26 of 158 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
This thread has been most helpful for someone like myself, not a current owner but thinking about buying a Macan as my daily driver. It would be in 2018.

I understand the pluses of Porsche and higher performance cars, but what I wanted to know more about before making a decision is if there are some minuses that I just can’t live with in a dd. I don’t know for sure yet if the pluses outweigh the minuses for me--- and it’s all personal opinion here. I'm not interested in driving a performance dog as my dd, but I also get performance elsewhere in my garage. I need to find the balance between performance and convenience for my dd.

I know from what I have read so far I might have to go with the Alcantara steering wheel option to get the proper feel, and I must learn to live with a few things that I realistically can’t do anything about, such as the size of the steering wheel, possible rattles, sun visors that are too small, pita fog light switch operation, and relatively ugly rear wiper placement.

I’ll keep reading, and figure it out. Thanks for the good info.
Don't let these posts prevent you from getting a Macan. Every car has its quirks and while many of these comments have merit, we are splitting hairs here.

Having said that, no one has a problem with el cheap-o rear view camera at night?
RJMcInnis and Chookie like this.

2017 Macan GTS: VG | Black RS Spyders | Black/Garnet Red Leather Pack | 8-way Sports Seats | Black Alum Interior Trim | Premium Pack Plus | Sports Chrono | Lane Change Assist | LED Headlights | PCM and Connect+ | Black Roof Rails | Smoking Pack | Heated Steering

2016 MB GLE350 4Matic
2014 MB E350
2010 MB E350
2005 Lexus RX330
1999 VW Jetta GLI
1996 Isuzu Trooper (underpowered and underrated)
post #27 of 158 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Garage

Close the hatch using key fob. I can do it on my '11 Explorer!
Macanakey and Thunder like this.
post #28 of 158 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)

Surround view on my 16 S works very well at night. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was after I got the car. On the other hand, I do wish you could select a default view of your choice when using the system. Currently you have to go into the screen menu to select view each time you use it.
Daniel and fritz like this.
post #29 of 158 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

The passenger side wiper sticks up above the hood about an inch in the resting position and you get to look at it all the time. Really Porsche?? You couldn't find a way to hide that?

Have to backup the missle launcher ideas for those peeps that finally take a right on red after making you wait 5 min.
santastico likes this.
post #30 of 158 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Make standard FULL SIZE spare tire so you can actually use it if you gotten stuck off road.
HUD, I'm pretty sure this is something they have technology to make it happen. People who doesn't want to see the head up display can always turn it off.
Get that side blades off the car already.
Blarghicide likes this.

2017 Macan GTS, Black/Garnet Red.