User Tag List

157Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #111 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage

The conditions for using the Auto High/Low Beam Assist one PDLS+ need to be rewritten. They are rendered useless on any streets in my area. My volvo lights are simple: brights switched off only when behind a car or when one is coming or when stopping.

Macan Manual:
This function is activated in darkness provided the following conditions are fulfilled:
The light switch setting no is selected.
The speed is over approx. 37 mph (60 km/h).
To prevent the use of full high beam in residential areas, the high beam assistant is not available at speeds below approx. 20 mph (35 km/h).
In addition, the lights automatically switch from full high beam to low beam as soon as the camera has detected two or more street lamps.

Last edited by PaulW; 01-05-2017 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboyrolo View Post
The problem with this and other things left 'powered up' with ignition off is that there is a possibility of battery drain and/or the need to include a timer in the electrics. More expense and not ideal.
I definitely don't understand what you mean. If either of our BMW products have been sitting in our garage for hours (so the car is fully asleep) with the driver's window open, and I reach in and hit the button to fold or unfold the mirrors (or turn on the headlights as another example) it doesn't "wake up" the car the way that opening a door does. Can't imagine why there would need to be standby power usage for folding mirrors?

'16 Turbo,Sapphire,Black Leather Int/Sport Classics/Window Trim/Roof Rails/Xenons, PDLS+,Tinted Tailights,Sport Design,PSE/PTV/AS/SC/ACC,Burmester,Prem/Comfort Lighting Packages,Leather Dashboard Trim,Seat Console,Steering Column,Rear View Mirror and Sun Visors, Leather Interior Trim in Pebble, Pebble Seatbelts, Headrest Crests, Armrest Logo, White Dials/SC Clock, Alum Fuel Cap, Spt Design Mirrors, Surround, Connect/Online Services,Painted Key,Leather Keypouch,Illum Door Sills
post #113 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulW View Post
The conditions for using the Auto High/Low Beam Assist one PDLS+ need to be rewritten. They are rendered useless on any streets in my area. My volvo lights are simple: brights switched off only when behind a car or when one is coming or when stopping.

Macan Manual:
This function is activated in darkness provided the following conditions are fulfilled:
The light switch setting no is selected.
The speed is over approx. 37 mph (60 km/h).
To prevent the use of full high beam in residential areas, the high beam assistant is not available at speeds below approx. 20 mph (35 km/h).
In addition, the lights automatically switch from full high beam to low beam as soon as the camera has detected two or more street lamps.
Strongly agree.

'16 Turbo,Sapphire,Black Leather Int/Sport Classics/Window Trim/Roof Rails/Xenons, PDLS+,Tinted Tailights,Sport Design,PSE/PTV/AS/SC/ACC,Burmester,Prem/Comfort Lighting Packages,Leather Dashboard Trim,Seat Console,Steering Column,Rear View Mirror and Sun Visors, Leather Interior Trim in Pebble, Pebble Seatbelts, Headrest Crests, Armrest Logo, White Dials/SC Clock, Alum Fuel Cap, Spt Design Mirrors, Surround, Connect/Online Services,Painted Key,Leather Keypouch,Illum Door Sills

post #114 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 12:32 PM
kdr

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)

Add a more convenient spot to stick a phone. Console is too small. Needs to be a spot below the PCM.

Enjoying a Macan GTS since June 2016
post #115 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 1596 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
heated windscreen same as in the rear, but separately switched.
There are separate switches for front and rear windscreen defrosting.
Pokerhobo likes this.

2015 Macan S | white | agate grey | 19" turbo wheels | summer tires | premium pkg | 18-way seats | PASM | LCA | ventilated seats | 3-zone | gloss black trim | smoking pkg | ACC+PAS | comfort lighting | ordered 12/15/2014, built 1/30/2015 & delivered 3/28/2015 | H&R lowering springs @1370 miles, 5/15/2015
post #116 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 04:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark View Post
I definitely don't understand what you mean. If either of our BMW products have been sitting in our garage for hours (so the car is fully asleep) with the driver's window open, and I reach in and hit the button to fold or unfold the mirrors (or turn on the headlights as another example) it doesn't "wake up" the car the way that opening a door does. Can't imagine why there would need to be standby power usage for folding mirrors?
Well your BMW's are not 'fully asleep' as you presume, obviously there is power to those switches with ignition off. The Macan works differently to make the car safer - kids can't operate stuff without the ignition on, to reduce the chance of a flat battery - due to power leakage through a switch. On the Macan, without the key present and window left open the only things that work are the sidelights - for parking I presume, the 12v sockets and the radio will stay powered up for a short time but the mirror fold and windows will only operate with ignition on. The rest of the car is 'dead'.

SD Macan in DarkBlue/Pebble. New S in VG/Black-Luxor on order.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fiat 500 twinair auto as a runabout.
post #117 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboyrolo View Post
Well your BMW's are not 'fully asleep' as you presume, obviously there is power to those switches with ignition off. The Macan works differently to make the car safer - kids can't operate stuff without the ignition on, to reduce the chance of a flat battery - due to power leakage through a switch. On the Macan, without the key present and window left open the only things that work are the sidelights - for parking I presume, the 12v sockets and the radio will stay powered up for a short time but the mirror fold and windows will only operate with ignition on. The rest of the car is 'dead'.
It's not correct that the rest of the car is "dead" as you say (at least here in the U.S.). For example, if I went and jumped in the back seat of the Macan right now without having the key on me (we have Entry and Drive), I would hear the AS adjust to keep the car level.

And exactly how is a kid without a key being able to fold and unfold the power mirrors a safety issue? BMW products have had this ability for years and years. Any safety issues would have come to light long before now, and they would have changed it. Have you ever heard of a kid getting hurt playing with power folding mirrors? Like I said above I like the convenience, but if I thought it was dangerous at all, I would forego the feature in a minute.

I also scratch my head at a concern that a kid playing with the power folding mirrors is going to run the battery down. Isn't it a lot more likely they are going to end up playing with the radio? The Macan allows you (without the key) to run the radio for a number of minutes before it shuts off, and you can immediately turn it back on, and a kid could do this for hours if he/she wanted to. When I'm working out in the garage and want to listen to the radio I'll do this myself, although obviously not for hours on end :-) Interesting that you are concerned about the power mirrors running the battery down but don't consider the radio to be a similar if not more significant issue.

post #118 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 08:47 AM

Garage

Quote:
It's not correct that the rest of the car is "dead" as you say (at least here in the U.S.). For example, if I went and jumped in the back seat of the Macan right now without having the key on me (we have Entry and Drive), I would hear the AS adjust to keep the car level.

And exactly how is a kid without a key being able to fold and unfold the power mirrors a safety issue? BMW products have had this ability for years and years. Any safety issues would have come to light long before now, and they would have changed it. Have you ever heard of a kid getting hurt playing with power folding mirrors? Like I said above I like the convenience, but if I thought it was dangerous at all, I would forego the feature in a minute.

I also scratch my head at a concern that a kid playing with the power folding mirrors is going to run the battery down. Isn't it a lot more likely they are going to end up playing with the radio? The Macan allows you (without the key) to run the radio for a number of minutes before it shuts off, and you can immediately turn it back on, and a kid could do this for hours if he/she wanted to. When I'm working out in the garage and want to listen to the radio I'll do this myself, although obviously not for hours on end :-) Interesting that you are concerned about the power mirrors running the battery down but don't consider the radio to be a similar if not more significant issue.
Well, there's a big difference between a car system such as Air Suspension adjusting, and operating controls. Modest operation of mirrors, radio, powered seats of course would not drain the battery, but all are a safety issue to children - easy to get fingers trapped. But a faulty switch with a drain to earth, or a light left on would certainly drain the battery. Far better to have as little as possible operate with ignition off - an 'almost dead' car. Well done Porsche.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #119 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:42 AM

I suspect I may get some more pushback for bringing another BMW feature that's missing from the Macan, but we had our X5 serviced this week and our loaner car was a new 4 series Grand Coupe that had an unusual amount of optional equipment for a loaner car (I'm used to getting a stripped 320i).

One of our favorite features on the X5 is the HUD. Before we bought the car I thought it was a frivolous idea, but I quickly changed my opinion after living with it. Not only does it display vehicle speed, it also displays cruise control set speed, navigation info, and certain vehicle warning messages, but apparently BMW has now added an additional feature to the HUD that our 6 year old X5 does not have...the speed limit now appears in the HUD beside the current vehicle speed.

I really like the convenience of that, especially since it appears to have saved me from a speeding ticket yesterday. I was in an unfamiliar area where the speed limit lowered, and I missed seeing the speed limit sign. I noticed that the displayed speed limit on the HUD changed so I slowed down, and sure enough, just up the road there was a cop shooting me with his radar gun.

I've said before that I wish an HUD had been an available feature on our Macan, especially given with the Macan you don't have a sense of how fast you are going, as many forum members have mentioned. Having the speed limit also displayed in the HUD is a whole new dimension that I would frequently use if it was on the Macan.

Also, the one beef I've always had with the HUD in our X5 is that the display can be very difficult to see in bright sunlight when wearing polarized sunglasses. That was definitely no longer an issue on the loaner car. They have substantially improved the HUD's optics.
NETX and Dmsnyc10 like this.

post #120 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 07:04 AM

Garage

Quote:
I suspect I may get some more pushback for bringing another BMW feature that's missing from the Macan, but we had our X5 serviced this week and our loaner car was a new 4 series Grand Coupe that had an unusual amount of optional equipment for a loaner car (I'm used to getting a stripped 320i).

One of our favorite features on the X5 is the HUD. Before we bought the car I thought it was a frivolous idea, but I quickly changed my opinion after living with it. Not only does it display vehicle speed, it also displays cruise control set speed, navigation info, and certain vehicle warning messages, but apparently BMW has now added an additional feature to the HUD that our 6 year old X5 does not have...the speed limit now appears in the HUD beside the current vehicle speed.

I really like the convenience of that, especially since it appears to have saved me from a speeding ticket yesterday. I was in an unfamiliar area where the speed limit lowered, and I missed seeing the speed limit sign. I noticed that the displayed speed limit on the HUD changed so I slowed down, and sure enough, just up the road there was a cop shooting me with his radar gun.

I've said before that I wish an HUD had been an available feature on our Macan, especially given with the Macan you don't have a sense of how fast you are going, as many forum members have mentioned. Having the speed limit also displayed in the HUD is a whole new dimension that I would frequently use if it was on the Macan.

Also, the one beef I've always had with the HUD in our X5 is that the display can be very difficult to see in bright sunlight when wearing polarized sunglasses. That was definitely no longer an issue on the loaner car. They have substantially improved the HUD's optics.
Yes, a HUD would be a great addition to any Porsche, it must make it so much easier to keep eyes ahead. I doubt the Porsche fanaticos would agree - we'll see.
bdawgMacan and OC Sadler like this.