Engineered a dash mat that eliminates windshield reflections - Porsche Macan Forum
User Tag List

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Default Engineered a dash mat that eliminates windshield reflections

Finally, was able to build successfully a dash mat that removed the need of polarized sunglasses. No more windshield reflections anymore!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1473587396670.jpg (123.9 KB, 413 views)
windblow, Mini, tossero and 4 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)

That looks really good!

How did you build that? Can you add more pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
L_K likes this.

2017 Macan GTS. Volcano Gray, Black Leather Interior, Black RS Spyder Wheels /Summer Tires, Sports Aluminum PDK, Sport Mirrors, Adaptive Cruise / PAS, Ventilated Seats, Sport Chrono, PTV+, Surround View, Air Suspension / PASM, Black Roof Rails, PCM with Navigation, Lane Keep Assist, Lane Change Assist, LED Headlights, Smoking Package, 18-Way Seats, Premium Package Plus, Rear Sunblinds, Red GTS Logos, Chrome interior accents, Wireless Charger for iPhone, Armrest Tray, Smoked Side Reflectors.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Garage

Is the reflection with that color really that bad?? I have the saddle and don't notice any reflection at all but I bet that light color would be much worse.

Its a shame to have to do that though...

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
That looks really good!

How did you build that? Can you add more pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First, I ordered a third party mat and assesed the problem. This mat had openings in the vents which caused bad reflection in that areas. Also, it was way too shiny as you can see in the first two attached pics, and it had bad creases and fit problems that needed to be fixed.

Then, I applied several coats of a special anti-reflective black cloth paint that is commonly usef to avoid optical reflection in screen projector surfaces. Found an outfitt in Canada that sold this incredibly black carbon-based paint.

For the vent openings, I glued pieces of see-through spandex-based black velour that I found on Amazon underneath the matt. It provided excellent air flow transmission at the same time as good optical anti-reflection characteristic.

To test it, I positioned the car at around noon on a sunny day and parked it in an angle for a worst case reflection and took the next two pics, with and without the mat. The improvement is obvious.

After solving the optical engineering problem, decided to work in the estetics. Didn't like that the aftermarket mat I got extended over the outer leather section of the beautiful beige dash and decided to trim it. Before, I had noticed that the reflections of that section were way up above the windshield area and didn't obstructed my view at all, so I went for it. As you can tell it was a good decition. The next pic shows how the dash looked before the final trim. And the last pic shows a night view of how nice the mat matches perfectly the color combination of my car.

Finally, the mat is pitch black and a pleasure for the eyes in all driving light conditionw, night or day.

Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1473610773685.jpg (184.6 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg image_1473610874994.jpg (184.0 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg image_1473611643408.jpg (147.8 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg image_1473611686797.jpg (114.9 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg image_1473612366887.jpg (131.4 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg image_1473612412027.jpg (100.2 KB, 173 views)
Jammer, vasans, Louie Zoi and 3 others like this.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanflyer View Post
Is the reflection with that color really that bad?? I have the saddle and don't notice any reflection at all but I bet that light color would be much worse.

Its a shame to have to do that though...
Yes it is. But I am very happy now. What I noticed is that it was not mainly an issue of the color of the dash, but the optical reflection quality of its surface. Regardless of the color, a glossy surface tended to reflect more light. I proved this theory when the dealer gave me a Ceyenne loaner. The Cayenne had a black dash and it also reflected badly at certain angles and light conditions as you can see in the atrached pic.

Very interesting and lucky you that you don't have this problem with your saddle dash. Is it all leather?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1473613633071.jpg (137.0 KB, 121 views)
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLGTS View Post
Very interesting and lucky you that you don't have this problem with your saddle dash. Is it all leather?
Yep, it's all leather.. maybe I just don't notice it, but honestly it's never been an issue.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanflyer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLGTS View Post
Yep, it's all leather.. maybe I just don't notice it, but honestly it's never been an issue.
Yes, it could be the leather. Much less glossier than plastic, as in that Cayenne loaner, I guess. Happy driving!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)

Impressive work, @GTLGTS . Enjoy your new mat dash!

Macan GTS - carmine red, agate/pebble gray
991.2 Cab - gt silver, black/bordeaux red, manual, PSE
991 Turbo S - sapphire blue, espresso
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Thank you @windblow , as time passes by, I like it more and more. In adittion of not getting reflections at all I love the look of it. My wife says it gives it a touch of personality and originality like a set of old ragged jeans. I agree :-)

PS. Bet somebody is getting fired at Porsche. I am sure they don't allow a single bit of reflection, in all light conditions, on their #1 and #2 LMP1 endurance racers ;-)
shlee001 likes this.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)

Have you noticed that Porsche has added a note to the Confusilator regarding dash reflection?

"A word about interior color choices:
Glass is reflective. Certain lighting conditions may cause a lighter color dashboard to produce a noticeable reflection on the inside of the windshield. To make certain that you are satisfied with your selection, ask your Porsche dealer to arrange a test drive experience in a variety of conditions, including with use of polarized sunglasses."
Mini, MDJAK and Louie Zoi like this.

Delivered on 02/11/2015: Macan S Agate Gray | Black Int w/carbon fiber | 20" RS with colored crest cap | 14-way Seats | PASM/AS | Prem+ | High Gloss Trim | Rear Fascia and Side Blades painted | Park Assist/cam | Heated Steering Wheel | LCA | 3-Zone | Smoking Pkg | Comfort Lighting |

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.