User Tag List

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Default LA Porsche Experience Center

I'm going to the LA Porsche Experience Center in February. I will be driving a Carrera S and having lunch with my wife afterwards at the 917 Restaurant. I received this free as a good will gesture due to my Macan S being held up in the port last winter.

We plan on making a long weekend out of the trip - so I'm looking for suggestions on places to stay, things to do, and places to eat! Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks!
WHT TGR, SoCalS5, MacWhte and 2 others like this.

2017 Porsche Macan S. Volcano Grey with RS Spyders and my carefully curated set of options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Default LA Porsche Experience Center

Very cool. What sorts of things do you and your wife like to do? Any particular food you like? How "LA" of an experience do you want? How long will you be here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by viobruin View Post
Very cool. What sorts of things do you and your wife like to do? Any particular food you like? How "LA" of an experience do you want? How long will you be here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We will be in LA for 4 days. We are outdoor types but February is probably not swimming weather. Thinking of staying at the Beach House in Hermosa. Love all types of food - especially seafood and creative cuisine. I have been to LA several times (mostly on business) but this is my wife's first visit. Would like to take in the best activities or adventures - try something new.

Thanks!

2017 Porsche Macan S. Volcano Grey with RS Spyders and my carefully curated set of options.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I'm not from LA, but I've been there a few times. Some recommendations that I have enjoyed:

- Highway 1 north to get some local food (Fish Tacos on the right side Reel Inn) and maybe drive to Malibu (but not much to see there other than desert roads)

- Malibu Cafe for food if we decide to go there one day (maybe for dinner or outdoor lunch). Great place for family and nice location, I had enjoyed driving around the hills with a rental, I can't imagine with a Macan.

- Go have some sushi at Sugarfish. For me, one of the best sushi omazake you can get for a good price and service (long lines, so get there early)
PMSA7 likes this.

Andre Soares
2015 Macan Turbo, Jet Black
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Hehe, it's Los Angeles, it maybe swimming weather in February! I've been to the PEC and it's a great place. I am thinking about going back to drive a Macan S to know the limits of my car...without driving my actual car. I learned quite a bit about car control, more so than I ever did before.

As for things to do and things to eat.

-Griffith Park/Observatory. Good place to hike and obviously its is AMAZING at night to look at the view of the city. Top tip, the back road leaving the observatory is nice and twisty (Official Site: Griffith Observatory Los Angeles, CA)

-Herringbone is a fantastic restaurant in Santa Monica for seafood. Also its right near the beach so you can go for a walk after. (Herringbone)

-No trip to LA is complete without a drive down Sunset Blvd, even if it is just for people watching and sightseeing.

-The Bazaar at the SLS is one of those places where you think you know what you're eating...but it's not in a weird and creative way! (THE BAZAAR® at SLS by Jose Andres)

-If you're feeling touristy, there is always the amusement parks of Universal or Disneyland.

If you're looking for road recommendations, I have a few that are near the PEC and a little bit away. I will say this with a bit of caution, get ready for the crappy traffic
PMSA7 and FLAMacan like this.

Current:
2017 Macan S "Heidi"
2016 VW E-Golf "Bob"

Gone but not forgotten:
2013 Audi S5 "Olivia"
2011 Mini Cooper Countryman S "Oliver"
2007 Mercedes E350 "Chloe"
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

Welcome to L.A.! As noted above, there are a TON of things to do while you're here. Just kind of depends on what you'll find that fits your need.

By the way, the recommendation for Sugarfish for sushi is a great one -- probably the very BEST I've had anywhere. And a truly unique presentation -- NOT expensive and worth every penny.

Lastly, the Grand Prix Region of Porsche Club of America is having a day there on February 25 -- meet a bunch of nice folks who all share the Porsche "cult"' experience that you are having as well. No cost - just introduce yourself. I can give you contacts if you like.

I would normally be there -- but I'll be at Porsche Sports Driving School for that weekend and visiting the Atlanta PEC that weekend too.. Life is so hard.
PMSA7 and FLAMacan like this.

Member - Porsche Club of America (1986- )
> High Performance Driving Instructor
> National Master Concours Judge
> Region Tech Advisor

'70 914 -- '72 914 -- '68 912 -- '77 Carrera 3.0 -- '99 996 Carrera -- '15 Macan S
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:43 PM

I'm not the outdoorsy type, unfortunately, so I can't really give you recommendations there.

Staying in Hermosa will be nice. It's not really close to a lot of the nicer LA restaurants and sites, though, which will be mainly in West LA, Beverly Hills, and downtown LA.

As for restaurants, Michelin doesn't give ratings for Los Angeles. Eater, however, recently came out with its own hypothetical "Michelin" guide for LA, which you can view here: http://la.eater.com/2016/12/8/138937...6-hypothetical If you like inventive food, I think that Bazaar by Jose Andres is great, which is what someone above had mentioned. Bestia in downtown LA is also a very good restaurant, but reservations go fast so you will probably want to book now (if they are still available). If you like steak, my favorite steak house by far is CUT at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel (i.e., where they filmed Pretty Woman), and they offer wagyu beef there (last I checked, it's imported straight from Japan, although I believe in the past they have also used an Australian supplier). If you're staying in Hermosa, Manhattan Beach Post is solid for breakfast and is only a few miles away.

As for touristy sites, there are a ton, and I'm sure you know them all. I'd stay away from Hollywood, though, as it's pretty dingy overall with a ton of traffic. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.
PMSA7 likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by viobruin View Post
Staying in Hermosa will be nice. It's not really close to a lot of the nicer LA restaurants and sites, though, which will be mainly in West LA, Beverly Hills, and downtown LA.
I am open to suggestions on places to stay. Would like to be on the coast - that is why I was considering Hermosa - but am I better off staying around Santa Monica or someplace else???

In addition to the Porsche Experience Center, I am thinking we would like to cruise the PCH, hit Santa Monica Pier, sunset strip, Griffith Park, Getty Center. Wife wants to shop Rodeo Drive and visit a farmers market. I am looking forward to the Sugarfish suggestion for sushi and a good local taco truck. Outdoor dining would be great if weather is OK. Maybe a concert at Disney Hall, Universal Studios tour, or comedy show.

I need to narrow down the list so I have time to sleep in, walk on the beach, and enjoy some cocktails.
FLAMacan and maxdbunny like this.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMSA7 View Post
I am open to suggestions on places to stay. Would like to be on the coast - that is why I was considering Hermosa - but am I better off staying around Santa Monica or someplace else???

In addition to the Porsche Experience Center, I am thinking we would like to cruise the PCH, hit Santa Monica Pier, sunset strip, Griffith Park, Getty Center. Wife wants to shop Rodeo Drive and visit a farmers market. I am looking forward to the Sugarfish suggestion for sushi and a good local taco truck. Outdoor dining would be great if weather is OK. Maybe a concert at Disney Hall, Universal Studios tour, or comedy show.

I need to narrow down the list so I have time to sleep in, walk on the beach, and enjoy some cocktails.
You could stay in Marina Del Rey, so you're in the middle of West LA/Santa Monica, and the PEC as well as the beach towns. Maybe an AirBnB in Playa Vista which is a short bike ride to the beach. LA is so geographically diverse, you'll have to drive, no matter where you stay. Also I don't know what days of the week you'll be here, but some of the stores on Rodeo are closed on Sundays, just a FYI.
MacWhte and PMSA7 like this.

Current:
2017 Macan S "Heidi"
2016 VW E-Golf "Bob"

Gone but not forgotten:
2013 Audi S5 "Olivia"
2011 Mini Cooper Countryman S "Oliver"
2007 Mercedes E350 "Chloe"
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMSA7 View Post

If you were planning on visiting the Santa Monica Pier (and likely Venice Beach and the 3rd Street Promenade) anyways, then I would strongly consider moving your hotel to Santa Monica. The problem with Hermosa Beach is that there isn't much around there in terms of the sights, and it's a bit land-locked so it takes a while to get onto a freeway. Santa Monica might be a better bet as there are lots of great hotels around there, and you still meet your goal of being on the coast and next to PCH. (*The drive to Malibu is gorgeous, and there are a ton of great driving roads relatively close to the area and to the Getty).

If you're looking for a comedy show, both The Comedy Store and The Laugh Factory are good places to go, particularly if you wanted to visit the Sunset Strip anyways. Celebrities always perform at both locations, so you'll have some fun and get to see someone famous (so "LA").

As for a farmers market, the Original Farmers Market is on 3rd and Fairfax and happens to be right next to The Grove, which is another tourist attraction. You may want to check that out. (*Loteria is at the Original Farmers Market and, while not a taco truck, makes an exceptional taco). If you're in that area, good picture opportunity at "Urban Light" outside of LACMA: https://www.yelp.com/biz/urban-light...ma-los-angeles

Both Griffith Park and The Getty Center are worth going to; don't necessarily need to go to both though. The Getty Center is beautiful architecturally, and the Observatory and Griffith Park are iconic are may provide you with some more outdoorsy activities.

Shopping on Rodeo Drive is excellent, which is to be expected. If you're hungry for a pastry, you can also visit the Bouchon Bakery across from The Montage Hotel.

Outdoor eating: Casual place would be Urth Cafe (featured in pretty much every episode of Entourage). The Ivy is another place with an outdoor eating area and is known as a celebrity hotspot. I also particularly like Wolfgang Puck at The Bel-Air Hotel. The food is solid (not exceptional), but the ambiance is top notch. Also, Wolfgang is often there during the lunch hour and will come out and say hello (and he will say hello at CUT and Spago at night). Here's a list of other great outdoor eating spaces: http://la.eater.com/maps/best-los-an...os-restaurants

Concert at Disney Concert Hall would be fun. The acoustics there are great, and the LA Phil is amazing (although you're quite fortunate to have the Boston Pops out in MA). You may even want to check out a Lakers game if you're out here (hey, when in Rome ...).
WHT TGR, MacWhte and PMSA7 like this.