User Tag List

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Default ultimate brake replacement thread

OK - here goes. This may be my first post, and if it is not, then it is the first one that matters. First things first

2016 Macan S with 47,700 miles

So why am I doing this? There is not a good write up of this anywhere - closest is the GT3 write up video. I have done this in other forum for other cars and here is why - my memory sucks. In two years when I need to do it again I have a resource to go back to so I don't have to start all over again.

Also this is going to be a mix of incoherent thoughts and facts about the front and back brakes

Lets get the facts out of the way

There is no Macan repair manual I can find yet
There are no good videos on line of the Macan (and no - I don't do videos but I should)
The Gen 2 Cayenne is the closest thing to the macan - and there is a manual for this on line - which I purchased for $15 on ebay

So l detailed the Macan yesterday and when the tires were off I looked at the pads up front and rear and was shocked! There is almost no pad but the rotors were still smooth. All original equipment

Fact 1 - Front Rotor min thickness in 32mm (I know this becasue it is written on the disc)

I measured mine and I am good - 32.8mm and smooth

Rear pads also shot

Fact 2 - to measure rear rotor thickness you need a thing that goes on the hub and a computer attached micrometer - there is no room to get a standard micrometer on becasue of the rear backing plate.

So I get on line and do more research and here is what I learn

Replacing front pads and rotors is a standard process

Replacing rear pads is straight forward and simple - no special tools needs

Fact 3 - Replacing rear rotors is the problem - The shoes for the parking brake inside the rear rotors need to be set and bedded in - and the only way to do this is with PIWIS - durmetric 6 does not work for this

So I called the dealer for a price estimate - and here was the ball park $1600-$1800 for the front pads and rotors, $1200-$1400 for the rear pads and rotors

They charge 2.5 hours of labor per axle

After I picked my jaw up off the floor I started looking for parts

So today is going to be front's only and I will do the rears later

As for parts - Autozone, Advance, Oriellys - good luck

For OEM stuff -

The Porsche dealer was $300 for the front pads and $65 each per sensor

Pelican was $217 for the pads and $38 for Porsche sensors

Called the dealer and asked for a discount and they gave me %10 - so as it stands currently my delviery boy (other wise known as my son) is on his way to get the parts.

If all goes well then there will be pics and a process up later

Total cost so far $15 for Cayenne repair manual
Benz, flash gordon and Leeski like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Garage

so at 14K i figure i am good at least until 25-35K before i go for my lungs
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Kovacevich View Post
.....There is no Macan repair manual I can find yet....

....Replacing rear rotors is the problem - The shoes for the parking brake inside the rear rotors need to be set and bedded in - and the only way to do this is with PIWIS....
Hello and welcome to the group!

Unless things have changed, there is online Macan service information available using a time-based subscription on the PIWIS website. Here's where you have to go to sign-up.....

https://techinfo2.porsche.com/PAGInf...OLogin&lk=ELSE

For replacement of the rear brake pads, you can retract the parking brake without a PIWIS tool. See post number 84 in this thread for some discussion on how to do that....

http://www.macanforum.com/forum/whee...service-9.html

I haven't watched the video, so it may already be mentioned there......but the front caliper bolts on the Macan are Torque-to-Yield and must be replaced each time you remove the caliper to change pads.
Hope that helps. Let us know how it goes, and thanks for sharing your experience.

2015 Turbo / White / 20 Spyders / Black Window Trim / CF Sideblades / Espresso with Walnut / Espresso Belts / 14-way Seats / LCA / ACC-PAS / Entry & Drive / Surround View / Insulating Glass / PASM / PTV+ / AS / PCCB

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 03:47 PM
ebs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalS5 View Post
..but the front caliper bolts on the Macan are Torque-to-Yield and must be replaced each time you remove the caliper to change pads
*ALL* caliper bolts are torque-to-yield types - both front and rear.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 04:00 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs View Post
*ALL* caliper bolts are torque-to-yield types - both front and rear.
Ah, yes......a very good point. I only thought to mention the front, since removing the calipers is required for a pad change; whereas that's not the case for the rear.
Still, an important point to keep in mind for when a rear rotor change is in order. Thanks!

2015 Turbo / White / 20 Spyders / Black Window Trim / CF Sideblades / Espresso with Walnut / Espresso Belts / 14-way Seats / LCA / ACC-PAS / Entry & Drive / Surround View / Insulating Glass / PASM / PTV+ / AS / PCCB
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 04:09 PM
ebs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

Yeah, it's annoying you need to remove the caliper just to change the pads in front.

BTW, for folks thinking about rear rotor changes - it's quite awkward and hard physically to remove and torque back caliper bolts due to lack of space for a proper breaker bar. Unless you have a good set of different length wrenches, something like this - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 would make the job easier.
SoCalS5 likes this.

Last edited by ebs; 06-17-2017 at 06:35 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage

Why do you need to remove the front calipers to just change the pads? Aren't they simply held in place by pins/clip.? Once you remove the pins/clip and spread the pads from the rotor you just lift the pads out.

(This from someone who is a DIY'er but hasn't removed the wheels yet to take a look.)

Also, just had my tires changed at 36K miles. Pad life left on all corners is 75%.

2017 Macan S. Black over Luxor Beige.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 10:07 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkaia524 View Post
Why do you need to remove the front calipers to just change the pads?.......
That's what I wondered too, back before I actually saw how the calipers are constructed. They are not the typical pin and clip type. Here's a photo of the top of an S caliper.......from the DIY Brake Bleed thread:

Source: http://www.macanforum.com/forum/whee...ake-bleed.html
Pkaia524 likes this.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

All right. The update you have been waiting for. Computers are not my strong thing so this may take a few days. Did front pads only and all went well.

So I bought Porsche pads from Porsche Beachwood - they had them in stock. $305 with 10% PCA discount. So here they are

Anyway, they say Akebono. Will now take a break to figure out pics.
SoCalS5 likes this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 10:46 PM Thread Starter