User Tag List

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Default PDK saves the day

A couple years ago I was rear ended at a stop light by a truck who was on his cell phone, so I'm particularly sensitized to what's coming up the rear. Anyway today I turn onto a 45 mph road and I saw him but he was a block down the road in the rear view I see him coming and he's flying, I'm at 45 and already in 7th gear in comfort he's bearing down on me and not braking and I thought "oh schit I'm in comfort mode" but I floor it anyway. I think the PDK response scared me more than him coming down on me. Talk about a ferocious response, I think it dropped to second and jumped to 6000 rpm as in immediately. He finally applied the brakes but I was gone.

I was in shock afterwards. Not over the incident but the vehicle response. I was looking at the Macan and wondering, is this the same car I've been driving? CRAZY!!!
TripleL, Shark, fincher and 7 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

My daily driver is my e-Golf, and it's all electric so, 1 gear. I just accelerate and don't think much of it. It's fun to mash the pedal and hear the "wrrrrrr" of the electric motor. When I get into my Macan, I sometimes get caught off guard and have to retrain my foot to NOT mash the pedal but, yes the PDK will and can scare the poo out of you sometimes. I remember in my test drive of one, I was cruising in 7th and I push the pedal to overtake a slower car. I looked down and I saw it drop to 4th.

Current:
2017 Macan S "Heidi"
2016 VW E-Golf "Bob"

Gone but not forgotten:
2013 Audi S5 "Olivia"
2011 Mini Cooper Countryman S "Oliver"
2007 Mercedes E350 "Chloe"
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)

Buckfever, I am also like you and very aware of what is behind me. When I'm in stop and go traffic and especially on the freeway. If I have to come to a pretty quick stop, I'm looking left and right for the escape route in case I can't get stopped and then I'm focused on the rearview mirror. I've been too many times in traffic and coincidentally, it happened to my 21yr old daughter today. She just recently came home from the University for summer a lady in a large SUV who said she was distracted by her son hit her. She is OK and her car seems to be OK. I just washed it over the weekend, so I am familiar with all the pre-existing scratches.

It is good to know that in a "panic" situation comfort mode can respond quickly. Because it seems pretty lazy to me in comfort mode.

2017 GTS White/Red ordered 22 Nov 2016 /PEC ATL delivery number 223 on March 7, 2017

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 1595 Post(s)

I found that the PDK responds to how quickly and how much the pedal is pushed down, and the former probably invokes a more immediate response.

2015 Macan S | white | agate grey | 19" turbo wheels | summer tires | premium pkg | 18-way seats | PASM | LCA | ventilated seats | 3-zone | gloss black trim | smoking pkg | ACC+PAS | comfort lighting | ordered 12/15/2014, built 1/30/2015 & delivered 3/28/2015 | H&R lowering springs @1370 miles, 5/15/2015
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 01:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to davo1805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckfever View Post
A couple years ago I was rear ended at a stop light by a truck who was on his cell phone, so I'm particularly sensitized to what's coming up the rear. Anyway today I turn onto a 45 mph road and I saw him but he was a block down the road in the rear view I see him coming and he's flying, I'm at 45 and already in 7th gear in comfort he's bearing down on me and not braking and I thought "oh schit I'm in comfort mode" but I floor it anyway. I think the PDK response scared me more than him coming down on me. Talk about a ferocious response, I think it dropped to second and jumped to 6000 rpm as in immediately. He finally applied the brakes but I was gone.

I was in shock afterwards. Not over the incident but the vehicle response. I was looking at the Macan and wondering, is this the same car I've been driving? CRAZY!!!
Somebody asked me yesterday how I am liking my new GTS - I replied that it's a Jekyll and Hyde car. It's so smooth, quiet and comfortable just dribbling along in the rush-hour traffic during the daily commute, but when you need (or just want) it to get out of its pram, all **** can be let loose. I love it.
Benz, Macanakey and Arnold_T like this.

2017 GTS - Night Blue with Garnet/Black interior and a bunch of other stuff. Delivered Friday 5th May
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davo1805 View Post
Somebody asked me yesterday how I am liking my new GTS - I replied that it's a Jekyll and Hyde car. It's so smooth, quiet and comfortable just dribbling along in the rush-hour traffic during the daily commute, but when you need (or just want) it to get out of its pram, all **** can be let loose. I love it.
+1. Couldn't agree more - it's the best 2 cars I have ever owned all in one package. And that PDK is just sublime!
TripleL and Len Walsh like this.

2017 Macan GTS - Volcano Grey Metallic/ Agate Full Leather /20" Sports Design /AS/PASM/LCA /LED with PDLS+ /18-Way Seats/Walnut trim/ Light Comfort/Panorama Roof/Entry-Drive/ Bose
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 04:22 AM

Mentioned: 487 Post(s)
Quoted: 1914 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckfever View Post
, I'm at 45 and already in 7th gear in comfort he's bearing down on me and not braking and I thought "oh schit I'm in comfort mode" but I floor it anyway. I think the PDK response scared me more than him coming down on me. Talk about a ferocious response,

This was a big discussion topic when PDK first made it into the 09 997. The first generation PDK practically ran to 7th gear (35 MPH) . It even up shifted going up a hill. So the big question at the time is what if there's a need for an immediate response . This led to comments on learning how to push the gas harder in an effort to modulate the kickdown . I always felt and still feel there's an element of guesswork as the pedal play is much less precise with the throttle in normal mode. I happen to love what the 991 offers with PDK having a "sport response" button . It immediately gives the pedal and throttle 20 seconds of sport plus which is ideal for the event you described. I wish Porsche would offer it in the Macan too.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
- it's the best 2 cars I have ever owned...
Haha, agreed! I'm stealing that line..
TripleL and WHT TGR like this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Garage

I pay extremely close attention to my rear when I am braking as well. Saved me twice so far on highway.

May 29, 2015 (Delivered):
MY15 Macan S - White w/ Garnet Red Interior | Premium | SC | PASM | 20" SD Wheels | Window Trim in High-Gloss Black | 14-Way | 3-Zone CC | LCA | Comfort Lighting | Steering Wheel Heating | Smoking Package | Model Designation Deleted
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzwu View Post
I found that the PDK responds to how quickly and how much the pedal is pushed down, and the former probably invokes a more immediate response.
I've always wondered when some manufacturer was going to put 2 and 2 together and realize you want 10! If your pedal action is 3 sigma outside the normal activity, you probably want all the performance the car can give. It's that moderate pedal action that gets you in trouble. You give it a bit more than normal, and it thinks about it some, so you give it some more, still more thinking. Whereas if you had given it the combined amount up front, it really understands you want to go.

Warp speed now! And don't give me
any of that dilithium crystal crap!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.