Cobb Tune and Sport + or just Cobb Tune? - Porsche Macan Forum
User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Default Cobb Tune and Sport + or just Cobb Tune?

My original plan was to retrofit the Sport + to my 2015 Macan S and then follow it shortly with the Cobb 93 tune (hopefully a custom tune soon after Cobb releases it's Access TunerPro software to it's tuner network).

On OEM vehicles, it seems the consensus is that the Sport + option delivers a much more satisfying performance drive than normal mode or the Sport option. Lately however, I've seen a couple of posts that indicate that the Sport + option is rarely used on Cobb tuned vehicles due to the different driving dynamics.

So my question out to the forum to members that have both the Sport + and the Cobb Tune is: Do you still use the Sport + switch on your vehicles after installing the Cobb tune as much as you did before; do you use it less; or not at all?

I drive my truck almost exclusively in Sport mode as I find the normal mode too docile. 95% of my driving is in town, I have no plans to track the truck, and there are no twisty roads nearby. I would hate to spend the money on the Sport + option and then find that I no longer use it as the Cobb tune delivers enough.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)

I have Sport+ on my GTS and somewhat surprisingly rarely use it. I use Sport 100% of the time and I am mainly always heavy traffic city driving (Los Angeles), where I find Sport+ to be a bit too much with the way it holds gears longer.

I would say the Cobb Tune would be much more bang for the buck than the Sport+ upgrade, so if only able to choose 1, def do the Cobb tune.

2017 Rhodium GTS
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 04:07 PM
ebs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

I have both Sport+ and latest Cobb tune on my 2015 Turbo.
I use Sport+ very rarely (with or before Cobb tune) - only on track. IMO Sport+ is not suitable for daily driving.
Cobb tune is more "practical" in this respect.
I personally don't like the new version (v2) as much as v1.
Yes, there is more power at low end, but I think it's much less polished, car became significantly more "jerky" in both highway and city driving (I saw a weird situation yesterday on highway that looked like some control loop was out of whack with boost levels pulsating several times between 0 and ~10psi within a second or two) . But I'm sure there gonna be lots of people who thinks Cobb tune is awesome ...
sacusa likes this.

Last edited by ebs; 02-20-2017 at 06:40 PM.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Garage
Cool Just do it

With Cobb doing such a great job on the cars i would pull the trigger on the tune as I stated As others have said if you have a need for launch control then you have to have Sports +. Personally Sports Plus is overrated. It doesn't add power all it does is make harder shifts at higher RPM and increase throttle sensitivity. 👎

For the same money Cobb will give you a truly improved motor package wether your just cruising and need a little extra kick. Or if you choose hit Sport with the Cobb installed youll have performance that far exceeds factory Sports Plus button!👍

Last edited by notmac1; 02-20-2017 at 05:11 PM. Reason: More info
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)

Cobb + Sport mode is ideal in the city and out in the country. Oddly a bit smoother than Cobb tune in normal mode. I've tracked my Macan twice now (and probably never will again) and never missed Sports+ . I found plenty to challenge me without wishing for more abrupt shifts, even though I was shifting manually.

2015 Macan S, Agate Grey, AS/PASM/PTV, 20" SD, Tow hitch and roof rails, No sunroof
1973 911S, Ivory White, MT5
1973 911RS, White/Blue, MT5
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)

Hi,
I need to answer this question again because I need to be certain.
In my Wife's favorite Mode ( Comfort Mode ) are the shift patterns changes AT ALL when Cobb tune is added ? This would be a deal breaker for me. I want Sports and a plus mode to be nasty.......but need Comfort mode left stock.
I have a Turbo if that matters.

Thank you

2016 Macan Turbo (Rhodium)
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Garage
Default No shift changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddis View Post
Hi,
In my Wife's favorite Mode ( Comfort Mode ) are the shift patterns changes AT ALL when Cobb tune is added ? This would be a deal breaker for me. I want Sports and a plus mode to be nasty.......but need Comfort mode left stock.

Thank you
If your easy on the throttle comfort will be unchanged. What some have noticed some shifts can be a little jerky due to increased torque. This being due to the car short shifting which it does in comfort but now you have more torque. A soft touch on the throttle will be needed to keep the same comfort mode. Shift points are not changed in fact it almost shifts too quick in comfort to get to the highest gear save fuel.

If its her DD she will definite notice a difference though as the car will perform at a different level but nothing she can't get used to.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddis View Post
Hi,

Thank you

To me, the shift pattern changes on the GTS with cobb tune. In comfort mode It shifts a little early for me so i find the car has to downshift often, which can cause some jerkiness esp with the added torque.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Hmm, on our 2017 Macan S with the v202 Cobb tune I have noticed no changes in shift patterns/behavior at all. I just had to flash back to stock for a service, and back again, so I was able to compare it to the stock feel.
The v2 tune feels way more muscular at low revs than the v1 tune - I love it. Like my old APR tuned GTI, without the wheel spin...
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopless View Post
Hmm, on our 2017 Macan S with the v202 Cobb tune I have noticed no changes in shift patterns/behavior at all. I just had to flash back to stock for a service, and back again, so I was able to compare it to the stock feel.
The v2 tune feels way more muscular at low revs than the v1 tune - I love it. Like my old APR tuned GTI, without the wheel spin...
He's talking about the GTS, not the S. There's a big difference, if you haven't driven the GTS with and without the Cobb tune in normal mode.

Macan GTS - carmine red, agate/pebble gray
991.2 Cab - gt silver, black/bordeaux red, manual, PSE
991 Turbo S - sapphire blue, espresso