Coolant Brand-Must it be Porsche? - Porsche Macan Forum
User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Default Coolant Brand-Must it be Porsche?

Manual p. 289. “use only antifreeze authorized by Porsche”
Looks Pink in color.

Mine is now right at “Min”
Want to top off to just under "Max."

Suncoast has Porsche Coolant (Red Color to replace old green color) @ $35.00 per gallon & MSRP = $47.57. LOL.

Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories Porsche Antifreeze (Gallon)

Some on Rennlist & Planet 9 say mixing Porsche brand with other brands can cause gelling.

I searched & was surprised I could find no discussion here @ MF re Coolant.

This is the only fluid that would be very easy to top off! The @$!!*** Washer fluid is very awkward to get to & cannot see how low it is. Under strainer/filter is plastic that diverts the fluid 90 degrees out of sight. (I just topped it off using many small plastic cups till I could eyeball it rising up in the neck of the strainer.)

So, what is everyone doing re coolant?

If you never open the hood, no need to reply & state that fact.

2016 Macan Turbo | Sapphire Blue Metallic | agate grey middle leather pkg| 19" turbo wheels | summer tires | F&R SS skid plates | premium pkg plus| 18-way seats | A.S. wi PASM | PTV Plus| 3-zone | dark walnut | NO smoking pkg | ACC+PAS | comfort lighting | wheel centers wi full color Porsche Logo |nano tinted windows |PPF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 02:03 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)

Mis-read as Coolest Brand-Must it be Porsche?

Don't Porsche do free top ups of fluids? Otherwise distilled water to keep it at min until your next service IMO. (You're in AZ, none of that cold I hear about)
dave-t likes this.

Macan GTS, Audi RS5
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RS_ View Post
...Don't Porsche do free top ups of fluids? Otherwise distilled water to keep it at min until your next service IMO. (You're in AZ, none of that cold I hear about)
I don't know if Porsche would top off fluids @ N/C during a service visit. If I don't learn about which type/Brand to get b4 end of August, I will find out when I bring it in for 1st oil change. Regardless, I'd hate to have to drive to the dealer, turn my car over & wait ...just to add a few ounces of coolant. But, I prefer to not have to purchase a $50 quart of Porsche brand coolant, if I do not need to do so. I read about a Volkswagen coolant, supposedly same as the pink stuff Porsche uses on some web site but, the product was no longer available. I thought this topic must have been discussed here.

2016 Macan Turbo | Sapphire Blue Metallic | agate grey middle leather pkg| 19" turbo wheels | summer tires | F&R SS skid plates | premium pkg plus| 18-way seats | A.S. wi PASM | PTV Plus| 3-zone | dark walnut | NO smoking pkg | ACC+PAS | comfort lighting | wheel centers wi full color Porsche Logo |nano tinted windows |PPF

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1073 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2517 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Some on Rennlist & Planet 9 say mixing Porsche brand with other brands can cause gelling.
RL and P9 are right. Did you think you were going to get away with $4.99 from Walmart? If you use the wrong antifreeze, it will turn to gel. For the technical details, read Coolant/Antifreeze Technical Article by Pedro.

Do as you want. Personally, I would have no issue buying some of the off the shelf OAT brands to top off, simply because its more convenient than driving to the dealer.

OTH, you also need to be careful of the windshield washer. Same thing. There is more argument about the windshield washer fluid but I think Einszett the right off the shelf brand. Some ignore the recommendations while others follow them. The issue is the long term damage. Its not like its going to fall apart on Tuesday.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)

I just just distilled water to top up recently (from min to max). My mechanic said it is fine.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim View Post
RL and P9 are right. Did you think you were going to get away with $4.99 from Walmart? If you use the wrong antifreeze, it will turn to gel. For the technical details, read Coolant/Antifreeze Technical Article by Pedro.

Do as you want. Personally, I would have no issue buying some of the off the shelf OAT brands to top off, simply because its more convenient than driving to the dealer.

OTH, you also need to be careful of the windshield washer. Same thing. There is more argument about the windshield washer fluid but I think Einszett the right off the shelf brand. Some ignore the recommendations while others follow them. The issue is the long term damage. Its not like its going to fall apart on Tuesday.
@grim is correct. Coolants now aren't like coolants before. They have blended water wetters, anti-boiling agents, and a whole host of other "tricks" for some engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
I just just distilled water to top up recently (from min to max). My mechanic said it is fine.
This is the way to do it. However....... it does raise the freezing point. Be aware of how much you add. Also, if you're adding coolant, Porsche should either top it off for you or there is something wrong. Coolant doesn't get consumed.

For windshield washer fluid. Einszett worked great for me last winter. Its not any cheaper than Porsche brand when mixed in the proper ratio for Wisconsin winters. DO NOT use RainX or other cheap brands. Depending on the type, it will leave a film on the bottle sensor and you get a flag to "add windshield washer fluid". Need to pull the sensor and clean it.
RJMcInnis and Louie Zoi like this.

Ordered Feb-14', Estimated 8/22/14, Delivered 9/3/14: Macan S White, Black Interior w/partial leather and 14-way, RS Spyder wheels w/ crest, Premium Plus, AS/PASM/PTV, ACC/PAS, Black Roof Rails w/Gloss Black Window Trim, Comfort light, Trailer Hitch
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)

I topped up just once in 2 yrs in service. I guess from min to max, I would say <500ml. I don't think it will affect the coolant mix requirement too much in regards to the freezing point. That's why I ask my mechanic first before doing it.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim View Post

Thanks! No I was not thinking about $4.99 coolant. Maybe $12-20/gallon if & only if, I can verify it is the correct type. I use this in my Jaguar & it meets all the specs detailed in the Jag manual: "Prestone® Dex-Cool® Extended Life
Antifreeze/Coolant" (It is orange) I cannot figure out, based on the very good article you linked, if it is " Organic Additive Technology (OAT)" Prestone says:
"...formulated for use in all vehicles ...with aluminum radiators"
Antifreeze / Coolant | Prestone®

I would only add just (distilled) water in an emergency. I prefer to top off with 50:50 mix approved coolant + distilled water. Yes, I know many mechanics say it is OK & perhaps it is. I prefer to be exact if I can.

Do any of you purchase a brand that explicitly states it is OAT? If you purchase Porsche brand, do you buy @ dealer or from another vendor? Cost? Maybe I will wait till end of August when I go in for oiil change @ dealer & ask them if the car was delivered with coolant @ minimum, or if they think I have a small coolant leak.

RE WW fluid. I just used what I had on hand (probably cheap blue no name stuff)but, plan to buy this for future use:
nextzett 92100815 Kristall Klar Washer Fluid Concentrate - 8.5 fl. oz.
https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-9210...vert-amazon-20
(I already purchased a funnel with a flexible long spout for next time.) <GRIN>

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Garage

I have the advantage of making both washer fluid and antifreeze. There are differences between automaker's requirements, and the trend is away from universal to brand specific. The OAT or hybrids are the most recent, and most likely to be (auto) brand specific. We do a VW / Porsche blend, and dye it pink. I would not worry about colour, it is a dye to suit the marketers, and I have seen the same base fluid dyed different colours for different customers targeting the same make.

Windshield washer is basically water, methanol and a surfactant package. Rain-X adds in an ingredient to bead up water, people seem to either love it or hate it. My belief is run it all the time or non of the time. Personally I use -40 or -45°C, whichever we happen to have left overs of on sale.

Night (was Dark) metallic blue, Agate standard interior, Navigation Module (was Infotainment Package), Premium Package (now with Bose radio), Trailer Hitch, PASM, PSP, 19" Turbo wheels, lane change assist, (now included Light Comfort package),18 way seats,Smoker's package
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Garage

Thanks this is great info.