User Tag List

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Garage
Default Apple CarPlay retrofitted on MY17 (and S+ too)

Last Thursday evening I left my tiger at the dealership I bought it from to have Apple CarPlay and S+ retrofitted, now that both upgrades have officially been released.

Yesterday I picked it up in the afternoon, and it all works nicely. We had a brief scare when my phone would not bring CarPlay up on the PCM display, but we finally figured out that it was an issue with my (non-Apple) cable. We used a Porsche lightning cable (which I had also bought during my visit at the dealership) and it worked wonderfully, for anyone interested. Just be aware that this retrofit is just adding the Apple CarPlay functionality; it's not (or in my case it has not been) a full Connect retrofit. The Sport Plus button also does what it's supposed to do, and the retrofit also adds the SC screens on the main display and on the MFD. At the same time they also updated the PCM software to the newest release; very nice of them.

Whereas CarPlay is very nice and useful, the S+ button just transforms the car. I think I have mentioned a couple of times that in my GTS I was missing that kick in the back I had experienced when testing the turbo back in the day before buying the GTS sight unseen, and I thought it was down to the additional displacement, horsepower and torque, but now with S+ I also feel that kick on acceleration when PDK shifts gears, and even if the car may not be much faster, it definitely feels faster; totally another beast. I start to understand those who say that once you try S+, Sport becomes the new "normal".

For the sake of completeness of my report, I had a pretty well optioned Macan S as a loaner (full black leather, SC, pano roof, PSE...), and my salesman is such a nice person that he left me a little note with a chocolate to "sweeten up my pitstop", as he wrote. Talk about customer service!

Pics or it didn't happen? Of course it did happen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9805.jpg (117.4 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9807.jpg (116.7 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg You_Doodle_Pro_2017-01-21T18_43_47Z.jpg (77.2 KB, 356 views)

Proud owner of a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
since March 12, 2016.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)

In the other thread some have it said it makes the PSE louder. On the Porsche website it makes no mention of this, and it wouldnt make much sense it if did (bypass is open or closed). Though maybe the more agressive throttle response makes it seem louder...

2017 Macan GTS "STORMTROOPER" - Delivered Jan 28
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 S4 - Gone
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage

I do not hear any change on the exhaust note at idle between S and S+.

Proud owner of a
since March 12, 2016.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABusLux View Post
I do not hear any change on the exhaust note at idle between S and S+.
I do hear a noticeable PSE sound difference in S+ under full acceleration, not on idle.

BTW, I see that you too opted for the Aluminum Sports PDK shifter. I think it is really nice and love mine

2017 Macan GTS. Volcano Gray, Black Leather Interior, Black RS Spyder Wheels /Summer Tires, Sports Aluminum PDK, Sport Mirrors, Adaptive Cruise / PAS, Ventilated Seats, Sport Chrono, PTV+, Surround View, Air Suspension / PASM, Black Roof Rails, PCM with Navigation, Lane Keep Assist, Lane Change Assist, LED Headlights, Smoking Package, 18-Way Seats, Premium Package Plus, Rear Sunblinds, Red GTS Logos, Chrome interior accents, Wireless Charger for iPhone, Armrest Tray, Smoked Side Reflectors.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Is Apple CarPlay an upgrade that can also be bought for a 2016 S?
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)

To get CarPlay from Porsche on a MY16 you have to replace the PCM with the MY17 PCM. The upgrade is available from Suncoast but it ain't cheep.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2016 S Sapphire Blue w/ Agate - AS/PASM,PTV+, Suncoast SC, RS Spyders, Prem Pkg, Adaptive CC w/ PAS, LCA, LKA, 14-way Ventilation, Comfort Ltg, Carbon Steering Wheel, Hitch, Rear Painted Fascia, Black window trim, HD Radio -
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
I do hear a noticeable PSE sound difference in S+ under full acceleration, not on idle.

BTW, I see that you too opted for the Aluminum Sports PDK shifter. I think it is really nice and love mine
Of course, but that's not a difference on the PSE; that's just the engine revving up higher than in Sport.

Alas, the aluminium shifter... that's a picture I took of the note & chocolate I found on the loaner on Thursday night, when I picked it up. My GTS has the standard shifter, and I agree with you that the optional shifter is much nicer.

Proud owner of a
since March 12, 2016.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)

Good to know about the Carplay retrofit. I'll have to look into that. I'm pretty happy with Waze, but it would be nice to have.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)

How is the retrofit kit for carplay different than if you order carplay from the factory? Does it include the voice lever/button....etc.?

If you see an ad just below my posted text above, it's inserted by the forum owner, not me.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I was under the impression that CarPlay can only be added when ordering the vehicle with Connect or Connect Plus.

What does the retrofit involve? Is it just a (paid) software update, or is there any additional hardware installed by the dealer?

Does anyone know if this retrofit is available in the US and what the approximate cost is?