Can you connect Waze to the PCM through the USB? - Porsche Macan Forum
User Tag List

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Default Can you connect Waze to the PCM through the USB?

If so what are the settings for the PCM and Waze?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Garage

I stream Spotify thru USB and Waze disrupts the audio with directions. Make sure your Bluetooth is activated on PCM, audio is active with Waze and the phone is paired correctly. Go to settings on Waze and you can choose the app to play as Bluetooth phone call.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmac1 View Post
I stream Spotify thru USB and Waze disrupts the audio with directions. Make sure your Bluetooth is activated on PCM, audio is active with Waze and the phone is paired correctly. Go to settings on Waze and you can choose the app to play as Bluetooth phone call.
It must be possible then. Waze works perfectly via bluetooth, but when I attached the USB it kicked me off, it must be something in the PCM settings. I can always charge with an adaptor in the charging socket but I would think I shouyld be able to do this.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckfever View Post
It must be possible then. Waze works perfectly via bluetooth, but when I attached the USB it kicked me off, it must be something in the PCM settings. I can always charge with an adaptor in the charging socket but I would think I shouyld be able to do this.
Shouldn't be a problem. My phone is mounted on a Pro Clip mount always connected thru the USB for digital audio. Check the setting on Waze go to sound, advanced audio select play as Bluetooth phone call
Hope this helps. 😎
RJMcInnis, FLAMacan and Arnold_T like this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)

I wonder if the OP was asking if there was some way for him/her to get the Waze map on his PCM screen? If yes, I don't believe that's possible.
BossHoss likes this.

'16 Turbo,Sapphire,Black Leather Int/Sport Classics/Window Trim/Roof Rails/Xenons, PDLS+,Tinted Tailights,Sport Design,PSE/PTV/AS/SC/ACC,Burmester,Prem/Comfort Lighting Packages,Leather Dashboard Trim,Seat Console,Steering Column,Rear View Mirror and Sun Visors, Leather Interior Trim in Pebble, Pebble Seatbelts, Headrest Crests, Armrest Logo, White Dials/SC Clock, Alum Fuel Cap, Spt Design Mirrors, Surround, Connect/Online Services,Painted Key,Leather Keypouch,Illum Door Sills
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

If you want to display Waze on the car screen, the answer is no. But can you have waze sort of coexist with CarPlay, then the answer is yes. I have my iphone7 connected to the car with a magnetic CD mount so that it's right below the PCM screen and most of the time I find that Connect with apple maps works well enough. The PCM screen shows the map and the phone shows the turn by turn directions. Sometimes, in heavy traffic situations, I prefer waze.

So if I'm driving down the road listening to podcasts and using apple maps and decide I need waze, I hit the home button on the phone to get back to the phone's home screen. I'll start up waze and enter the address and click "go". My podcasts will continue to play. My waze directions will come through the car audio and the podcast will pause for the directions. The directions appear on my phone-just below the car display. Not perfect but it works for me.

I don't think you're going to find a full integration of waze or google maps through Apple's Car Play in my lifetime.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark View Post
I wonder if the OP was asking if there was some way for him/her to get the Waze map on his PCM screen? If yes, I don't believe that's possible.
No not at all.

I have no problem connecting Waze or Google maps via Bluetooth to the pcm so that the apps go through the car speakers and override music. It's when I connect the lighting cable to the usb port that I had the bluetooth function get kicked off.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed McGrath View Post
If you want to display Waze on the car screen, the answer is no. But can you have waze sort of coexist with CarPlay, then the answer is yes. I have my iphone7 connected to the car with a magnetic CD mount so that it's right below the PCM screen and most of the time I find that Connect with apple maps works well enough. The PCM screen shows the map and the phone shows the turn by turn directions. Sometimes, in heavy traffic situations, I prefer waze.

So if I'm driving down the road listening to podcasts and using apple maps and decide I need waze, I hit the home button on the phone to get back to the phone's home screen. I'll start up waze and enter the address and click "go". My podcasts will continue to play. My waze directions will come through the car audio and the podcast will pause for the directions. The directions appear on my phone-just below the car display. Not perfect but it works for me.

I don't think you're going to find a full integration of waze or google maps through Apple's Car Play in my lifetime.
No again not looking for display on the car screen. It's that connecting the iphone to the USB with the lightning cable seemed to disrupt the bluetooth funtion. The phone is paired the bluetooth function is working flawlessly tghe phone functions fine with the lightning cable in the USB port. The waze and google maps via bluetooth are working beautifully sounds coming over the car speakers and overriding, but once I attach the lightning cable to the USB port I run into a problem with the apps and the sound.

I've already ordered the mounts for the phone. I'm thinking it's something I need to change on the PCM settings. I'll play with it tomorrow.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckfever View Post
It's that connecting the iphone to the USB with the lightning cable seemed to disrupt the bluetooth funtion. The phone is paired the bluetooth function is working flawlessly tghe phone functions fine with the lightning cable in the USB port. The waze and google maps via bluetooth are working beautifully sounds coming over the car speakers and overriding, but once I attach the lightning cable to the USB port I run into a problem with the apps and the sound.
I do recall this happening a while back, and I'm virtually certain that the fix involved changing one or more of the settings in Waze, and that this problem is not unique to Porsche. I ran into the same issue with one of our BMWs also.

'16 Turbo,Sapphire,Black Leather Int/Sport Classics/Window Trim/Roof Rails/Xenons, PDLS+,Tinted Tailights,Sport Design,PSE/PTV/AS/SC/ACC,Burmester,Prem/Comfort Lighting Packages,Leather Dashboard Trim,Seat Console,Steering Column,Rear View Mirror and Sun Visors, Leather Interior Trim in Pebble, Pebble Seatbelts, Headrest Crests, Armrest Logo, White Dials/SC Clock, Alum Fuel Cap, Spt Design Mirrors, Surround, Connect/Online Services,Painted Key,Leather Keypouch,Illum Door Sills
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

I went ahead and played with it tonight. I think maybe it's my phone. The PCM seems to identify it as an Ipod and then kicks off the bluetooth. I just ordered a USB charging port adapter and I'll just use it that way.