post #21 of 244 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1087 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2549 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkA6 View Post
Wow,thanks for that write up.
I am already OCD with my 2nd black A6as far as detailing.
Couldn't I get all season tires? And this battery thing has me concerned
Yes, it will come with all season tires. Still, don't expect great tire life.

The battery thing should be a concern. Its never a good thing when they tell you to buy a battery tender in their manual.
djs2303 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 244 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

This is such an awesome write up on Porsches in general. I also own a 2000 911 Carrera S 4 cabriolet (garage queen). It's my toy and as such its pampered, it lives in my Porsche "Mancave" garage tethered to its battery tender and when people are at my house working and see the 911, I can hear the wheels turning in their heads, (Rich, etc.) and your article here says it so very well...thank you very much for writing this!!

post #23 of 244 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Great job... good mix of tongue in cheek and fact.

Couple of things I'd add...

Driving any other car or rental is not the same. Once you're used to the responsiveness, handling, and acceleration, that four-banger you rent from Hertz is going to suck.

When they ask 'so, what do you do for a living', what they mean is, 'wow, you have a Porsche'. Coworkers thing you're getting paid more, family thinks you blew your savings, and neighbors thing that you think you're better than they are. None of which are true.

That said... huge fan of Adam's Polishes. Great products and even better service.

Macan S | May'14: Rhodium Silver Metallic & Tan, 20", Infotainment, PDLS, 18-way Heated/Vented Seats, Park Assist w/ Camera, Thermal, Entry & Drive

Replaced: 2008 Porsche Cayman S

Hers: 2014 Infinity JX35

post #24 of 244 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Ya, that was great. Owning a boxster already I can relate to a number of parts in this write up.
post #25 of 244 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)

Grim,

Funny, informative, and more than little worrying. Thank you.

The last time I bought a car (12 years ago) I got 4 years service thrown in. How much are the routine services? Can and do Porsche invalidate the warranty (in the US) if non-Porsche-approved mechanics perform work?

The need for a battery-tender is a shock. That wouldn't have surprised me in a Jaguar of the seventies, but a Porsche in the 21-teens?
post #26 of 244 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanMacan View Post
Grim,

Funny, informative, and more than little worrying. Thank you.

The last time I bought a car (12 years ago) I got 4 years service thrown in. How much are the routine services?
Since no one owns one, there is no exact answer yet. Based on a Cayman, and just reading what others say in the P-car online communities, I would plan on $350 - $400 for an oil change, $200 every two years for bleeding the brakes, $800 - $1K for minor service (including oil, brake bleeds), maybe up to $1.5K for major service. Mostly guesses. Then add the cost of tires, including shipping, installation, taxes, figure $1K for the rears every 15K miles. Maybe $800 for the fronts every 25K? Depends upon how you drive.

Quote:
Can and do Porsche invalidate the warranty (in the US) if non-Porsche-approved mechanics perform work?
I don't think they can do that. If you have proof the work was done as required in your warranty book, you should be fine. Google the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act. It might be part of that law.

Quote:
The need for a battery-tender is a shock. That wouldn't have surprised me in a Jaguar of the seventies, but a Porsche in the 21-teens?
Times change. There are many electronics always running and despite the addition of AGM batteries, the fact is there are many cases of batteries dying. Google the pcar forums and you will find lots of threads. Those electronics are always running. Two big problems with the AGM batteries seems to be heat. Heat not good for them. And, leaving the car unlocked seems to really be a drag, but that could be because the sports cars dont go to sleep.

There will always be anecdotal stories by people. Some will say their battery died in two days and be very upset. Others will say they died in two months. Those are the extremes. The fact is you will find many, many threads on the issue. Just do a search in the major forums.

There is a reason they suggest a battery tender in your warranty book and they sell one in tequipment, a rebranded CTEK.

Here is an example of a warranty booklet. Pages 11, 12, 13, 15 (including the requirement to drive the car 6K miles per year or leave it on a tender), 17, 19, and 31 all talk about keeping the battery charge and buying a tender. That ought to send a message.

Good luck
post #27 of 244 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 11:26 AM

Default Service, Maintenance and the Battery Tender

Thank for the advice. I suppose those service costs aren't much more than for a Mercedes. The tires seem steep though.

The trend in electronics is for greater efficiency and energy sipping sleep-modes. What if you want to leave your car at the airport for 2-3 weeks? That's an issue for Tesla owners. Tesla have address this and reduced the 'vampire load' to acceptable levels by reprogramming the fleet of existing cars. There's still an issue on cold conditions because the motive battery must be kept from freezing.

A car shouldn't need treatment before being left unattended for less than a month. Porsche and/or its suppliers needs to work on its electronics.
post #28 of 244 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)

Quote:
Thank for the advice. I suppose those service costs aren't much more than for a Mercedes. The tires seem steep though.

The trend in electronics is for greater efficiency and energy sipping sleep-modes. What if you want to leave your car at the airport for 2-3 weeks? That's an issue for Tesla owners. Tesla have address this and reduced the 'vampire load' to acceptable levels by reprogramming the fleet of existing cars. There's still an issue on cold conditions because the motive battery must be kept from freezing.

A car shouldn't need treatment before being left unattended for less than a month. Porsche and/or its suppliers needs to work on its electronics.
Tire cost is almost entirely up to you. I say almost because Porsche tends to set a good amount of negative camber on the rears, so the shoulders will scrub faster back there no matter how you drive. If you drive as it was meant to be driven, expect a set of rear tires each year.

My personal experience with battery on my Cayman has been that locking the car when parked in the garage will avoid any nasty surprises. When the car is locked, it goes into a deeper sleep mode, requiring me to lift a door handle to wake it up. I don't know if the Macan will be the same. I do have a CTEK charge that I put on it to condition the battery during winter. I think for Macan owners, who really should drive the car year-round due to its winter capabilities, the battery should maintain a good charge. I would expect you can leave the car at the airport for a couple weeks and not worry about coming back to a dead car.
laston likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- SC, AS/PASM, PDLS, Heated 18-Ways, Al trim, not much else
'15 M235i - xDrive, 8AT, Melbourne Red/Oyster, almost fully loaded
Gone: 2006 Porsche Cayman S
post #29 of 244 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Standard prices. Here are the OEM n-specs. Go to tirerack and price your tires in the size you ordered. Add in the shipping, installation, taxes, etc.

Quote:
The trend in electronics is for greater efficiency and energy sipping sleep-modes. What if you want to leave your car at the airport for 2-3 weeks?
While I am sure somebody will say that have done that, and there are always anecdotal stories, how many p-car owners do you know that have only one car? You don't leave it for 3 weeks. Take a taxi or airport shuttle.

Quote:
"In general" Porsche is not known for electronics (or luxury). It's known for performance. Take a look at the cup holders in the sports cars. They are a joke. You don't drink coffee while driving, especially in the left one.

They didn't even have ipod or aux-in connections until maybe 2007 or 08? My CS certainly didn't have them. For that matter, the Nav was a CD and IMO the user interface horrendous (not anymore, much better today).

Its simple. Read the warranty manual carefully. The hints are everywhere and I would not expect it to change. Want to leave it at the airport for a month, buy a Toyota or Hyundai (not trying to be facetious here, just realistic).
post #30 of 244 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 12:20 PM

Default Reliability

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim View Post
"In general" Porsche is not known for electronics (or luxury). It's known for performance. Take a look at the cup holders in the sports cars. They are a joke. You don't drink coffee while driving, especially in the left one.
Jaguar afficionados used to say similar things about Jags 'Lucas - Prince of Darkness'. 'Jags have lousy electrics - get over it.' Consumers didn't. They bought different cars.

I agree about coffee in cars, and I don't care much regarding electronics - except I like the idea of PASM, AS and PTV. But I would prefer my car to start when I want it to. Yes I can buy a battery tender. Jaguar owners could have got used to replacing alternators in the 70s.

I'm not part of Porsche's primary market, but the Macan and the Cayenne seem aimed at enlarging that market. Why wouldn't Porsche try to cater to it?