User Tag List

281Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 244 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)

Piloti seriously has gone out of business? That really sucks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- SC, AS/PASM, PDLS, Heated 18-Ways, Al trim, not much else
'15 M235i - xDrive, 8AT, Melbourne Red/Oyster, almost fully loaded
Gone: 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 244 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoosh View Post
Piloti seriously has gone out of business? That really sucks.
I've had these Porsche shoes for a while (very comfy):
Amazon.com: adidas Porsche Design Drive Athletic II (2) Men Shoes Black/Liqmet/Palsta G64661 (SIZE: 12): Shoes Amazon.com: adidas Porsche Design Drive Athletic II (2) Men Shoes Black/Liqmet/Palsta G64661 (SIZE: 12): Shoes

On Order: 2015 Macan Turbo
post #13 of 244 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim View Post
4. Expect an attitude.
You will not own a “real” Porsche. Deal with it. It’s not going away. That’s called “disdain”.
Haters will always hate. You will be told that “such and such” car is half the cost and will “blow your doors off”. That’s called “jealousy”.

6. The cars are meant to be daily drivers and not garage queens.
They expect you to drive a minimum 6K miles/year. In reality, probably 10K or more.
The battery will tend to die. There is a reason why this is mentioned in the warranty book and a reason they sell a battery tender in their accessory catalog.
You also might want to move that car so the tires don’t flat spot. It’s really not a good idea for it to sit weeks on end.

7. They won’t “get it”
It’s the rare couple when both “get it”. Then life becomes very easy. You’re golden. Life is sweet. You’ll fight over who gets to drive it that day. Better yet, there is no “discussion” on what needs to be spent on it!

8. Expect to learn far more about detailing than you ever wanted to know.
And oh yes, why not just drop a couple of hundred and let some detailing place take care of it? Seriously? Sure, you are going to let someone else touch your baby? I don't think so.

11. All P-car drivers need some good driving shoes.
Pilotis used to be popular but they seem to have gone out of business.
grim, good points. Here's my penny's worth:

4: A major amount of this "disdain" actually comes from a source close to home - some Porsche owners who pride themselves driving only 2-dr. purebred Porsche sports cars, not 4-dr. and certainly not any SUV/crossover creations. They will deliberately shun you. Just ignore them - they are ultimately harmless. A couple of decades ago, even the Porsche Club of America would not allow membership to certain non 911 model owners! Things change.

6: Porsche expects their cars to be driven approx. ten thousand km per year (six thousand miles) and at least one oil change every year, for proper warranty coverage. Regarding flat spotting, recommendation from Porsche for long-term storage is to inflate tires to about 50 PSI and not move them, instead.

7: I'm happy to confirm that an easy way to get your partner to "get it" is to simply hand over the keys - the first time he/she drives the Porsche (any Porsche), they will get it. That's what happened to my wife.

8: I wash my P-car at the manual carwash, but Detailing is not for me. If you're like me, I recommend trusting your Porsche dealer for this project. Our local Porsche dealer has a very nice $199 detailing package, which also takes care of the interior, including the leather.

11: Open-toe sandals are a big no-no (and barred at the track). Here's my personal Porsche Design shoe:
Amazon.com: adidas Porsche Design Drive Athletic II (2) Men Shoes Black/Liqmet/Palsta G64661 (SIZE: 12): Shoes Amazon.com: adidas Porsche Design Drive Athletic II (2) Men Shoes Black/Liqmet/Palsta G64661 (SIZE: 12): Shoes

On Order: 2015 Macan Turbo

post #14 of 244 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1009 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2361 Post(s)

Thank you MaxFix. I've interjected some comments. I didn't want to get into detail in the original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFix View Post
grim, good points. Here's my penny's worth:

4: A major amount of this "disdain" actually comes from a source close to home - some Porsche owners who pride themselves driving only 2-dr. purebred Porsche sports cars, not 4-dr. and certainly not any SUV/crossover creations. They will deliberately shun you. Just ignore them - they are ultimately harmless. A couple of decades ago, even the Porsche Club of America would not allow membership to certain non 911 model owners! Things change.
Exactly. Been there, done that. I agree. Just ignore those people.

Quote:
6: Porsche expects their cars to be driven approx. ten thousand km per year (six thousand miles) and at least one oil change every year, for proper warranty coverage. Regarding flat spotting, recommendation from Porsche for long-term storage is to inflate tires to about 50 PSI and not move them, instead.
Exactly again. The cars are meant to be driven, not sitting in the garage or driveway. Those electronics are always on. Not even talking about long term storage, I've felt flat spotting with the car just sitting a week. Those Michelins are expensive and soft. They also like nails

An important point here is that these cars are truly meant to be driven. I think with a crossover they will be. Maybe the Boxsters/Caymans/911s don't get driven so much by some people.

Quote:
7: I'm happy to confirm that an easy way to get your partner to "get it" is to simply hand over the keys - the first time he/she drives the Porsche (any Porsche), they will get it. That's what happened to my wife.
Exactly. No complaints here. We "get it" I am blessed in this area and feel fortunate. It makes life so much easier. It's a common interest (or hobby) She used to come with me to the autocrosses.

Quote:
8: I wash my P-car at the manual carwash, but Detailing is not for me. If you're like me, I recommend trusting your Porsche dealer for this project. Our local Porsche dealer has a very nice $199 detailing package, which also takes care of the interior, including the leather.
This I differ. I got so much detailing junk I'll never run out of carnauba, glazes, polishes, synthetics, wheel wax, etc. Then again, this vehicle is MUCH bigger than a sports car. It's downright massive. I might not be in the mood for spending long periods of time detailing. I didn't think about that before. I got to look into that.

Quote:
11: Open-toe sandals are a big no-no (and barred at the track). Here's my personal Porsche Design shoe:
Amazon.com: adidas Porsche Design Drive Athletic II (2) Men Shoes Black/Liqmet/Palsta G64661 (SIZE: 12): Shoes
Thank you for the reference!
post #15 of 244 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)

To expand on points 3 and 7: be prepared for your neighbours, friends, colleagues and customers to be jealous.

I read about the jealousy issue on the ferrari forums and while Porsche (and especially the Macan) is a rung or two further down the ladder, it is still a Porsche and in many peoples' minds it is still an unattainable brand. Some things I took from fchat:

Neighbours will give you looks when you wash your car in your driveway. They will ask what you do for a living and then never talk to you again. Most of the time it will be the wife who is jealous (she married the wrong husband)

You will find out who your true friends are. Some will say how cool your car is, and some will stop talking to you altogether. Just like with neighbours, the key indicator of jealousy is when people ask what you do for a living

Once word gets out in the workplace, your colleagues will inevitably start talking about how much more you must be getting paid since you can afford such a luxurious toy. When I got my first BMW 4-5 years ago, one colleague stopped talking to me for 2 years. Traded for a VW and he started talking to me again...

If you plan to park your car in your business' carpark, have no doubt that your customers will notice. They will start asking for big discounts on your products/services since you can obviously afford it! This was my biggest fear and I was seriously contemplating a cheap B-car to maintain a modest image in front of my customers. Unlike the other 3 groups, the wrong impression here will hurt you financially, not just emotionally.
whoosh and Bull_Market like this.

Pre-ordered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Mineral Grey on Red/Black

: 2015
Porsche Macan S | White on Red/Black
|

Current: 2011 Volkswagen Golf R DSG | Blue
post #16 of 244 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1009 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2361 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chylld View Post
To expand on points 3 and 7: be prepared for your neighbours, friends, colleagues and customers to be jealous. …
You have a lot of good points here. I would say this. 99% of people will have no idea what you are driving. They will only see the logo and immediately stereotype you. And yes, some will be jealous and everything that results from that. The best I can say is just be prepared. It will happen. It doesn't matter what model you own or how old the vehicle might be. You are rich.

So if your car is in the driveway and that home repairman comes by to do some work, make sure the car is in the garage or under a car cover
sebis and Jet1027 like this.
post #17 of 244 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Garage

Wow,thanks for that write up.
I am already OCD with my 2nd black A6as far as detailing.
Couldn't I get all season tires? And this battery thing has me concerned
djs2303 likes this.
post #18 of 244 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chylld View Post
To expand on points 3 and 7: be prepared for your neighbours, friends, colleagues and customers to be jealous.

I read about the jealousy issue on the ferrari forums and while Porsche (and especially the Macan) is a rung or two further down the ladder, it is still a Porsche and in many peoples' minds it is still an unattainable brand. Some things I took from fchat:

Neighbours will give you looks when you wash your car in your driveway. They will ask what you do for a living and then never talk to you again. Most of the time it will be the wife who is jealous (she married the wrong husband)

You will find out who your true friends are. Some will say how cool your car is, and some will stop talking to you altogether. Just like with neighbours, the key indicator of jealousy is when people ask what you do for a living

Once word gets out in the workplace, your colleagues will inevitably start talking about how much more you must be getting paid since you can afford such a luxurious toy. When I got my first BMW 4-5 years ago, one colleague stopped talking to me for 2 years. Traded for a VW and he started talking to me again...

If you plan to park your car in your business' carpark, have no doubt that your customers will notice. They will start asking for big discounts on your products/services since you can obviously afford it! This was my biggest fear and I was seriously contemplating a cheap B-car to maintain a modest image in front of my customers. Unlike the other 3 groups, the wrong impression here will hurt you financially, not just emotionally.
The first time I brought the Gallardo to work, word got out FAST. My boss called me in his office & asked me why I was driving that car. Simply put, 'Its a clients car & he let me use it!' BOOM! That shut everyone up! After all, I have a few clients who play in the NHL, so ya! Of course, I took most ppl for a ride & they were all happy lol
Liberty Macan and Louie Zoi like this.

'15 Macan -White/Garnet Red/21s/18 Way Seats/ Premium Plus/Air Suspension/PASM/Crests/Delivered July 21/2014
post #19 of 244 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

13. People will want to race you.
Usually a 20 year old meathead driving a Mustang or Camaro.
djs2303 and yorker like this.

2011 Porsche Cayman S
2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
post #20 of 244 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabronie505 View Post
13. People will want to race you.
Usually a 20 year old meathead driving a Mustang or Camaro.
When driving a Cayman, it's usually WRX's and Mitsubishi EVO's and the occasional VW GTI. Those GTI drivers are the worst. I don't like to generalise but they always seem to be puny little guys with something to prove and an urge to tailgate.

Where I am from, you have to be very careful with GTI's because the police use them as Q cars which gives GTI drivers an unfair advantage I think.
ferafaelnandes and addicted like this.