1313Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 3250 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1066 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Default Tracking the Delivery of your baby

If your car has to cross an ocean to get to you, I believe this is a way to track delivery (taken from the pieces I could put together). It should work for US and Canada. Not sure what the Australian lines are.

Once your spec is firm, your dealer should give you a car build schedule. Find the date of the German exit from their port, probably Emden. You probably want to get an updated schedule as the date gets closer. Schedules can change and what you have in January could be different in a couple of months.

Go here. On the right side select your trade route (e.g., USA).

For USA and, I think, Canada, select VW Logistics

A PDF schedule will come up. Ask your dealer for the boat name. Look at the schedule column for the date that boat leaves the dock. For example, today it looks like the Gracious Ace leaves Emden 1/30 and docks in Halifax Canada and then RI. US west coast cars might go to Houston.

Go here. While the ship is near land, you can track it. Not sure how to track it in the open ocean because it uses a different system. There are also apps for smart phones that can track it.

Once the ship is back near land, you can track it until it docks.

Once PDI is done, you can start looking at all the car haulers on the road near you and hope you car is on one of them

I hope this helps somebody interested in tracking delivery of their car (which is different from tracking their car .

You can also just google this and find lots of entries where people tracked their delivery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3250 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)

This is great information and I will use this, thanks! What else I got from my salesman (Northern VA) is that the ship entry point will be Davisville, RI (near the old naval base Quonset Point where two aircraft carriers were once homeported). Apparently, VW or Porsche determined that Baltimore ship services was overburdened from that original port.
post #3 of 3250 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by parket View Post
This is great information and I will use this, thanks! What else I got from my salesman (Northern VA) is that the ship entry point will be Davisville, RI (near the old naval base Quonset Point where two aircraft carriers were once homeported). Apparently, VW or Porsche determined that Baltimore ship services was overburdened from that original port.
Yup. Here is the press release. It might be tied into VW bought Porsche.

post #4 of 3250 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Garage

Thanks for the tracking tips.

Also the Davisville port is a very nice facility. I haven't gone by there in a while, but it's known to be a very active port for cars.
post #5 of 3250 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)

Excellent Information! I used these same sites back in 2012 when I ordered an Audi and it worked great.

2015 Macan : White / Black 18 way sport seats / 20 Inch RS wheels / Carbon Interior
post #6 of 3250 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

It's now February. At least for North America, the shipping schedule has changed. Based upon the current schedule, one day in the next 45 days, I expect the schedule will show the RI, Halifax, and Houston dates that will correspond to whatever is on your tracking sheet for the mid-May launch vehicles.

How exciting is that!
TripleL likes this.
post #7 of 3250 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)

28feb14 I just checked the VW Logistics and see the Asian Chorus is the only ship heading for San Diego in the time frame. It will be in Emden on 10 March for pickup. My car (and a load of west coast brothers) arrives in San Diego on 7 April. Can't wait!
chriskat likes this.
post #8 of 3250 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plimagt3 View Post
28feb14 I just checked the VW Logistics and see the Asian Chorus is the only ship heading for San Diego in the time frame. It will be in Emden on 10 March for pickup. My car (and a load of west coast brothers) arrives in San Diego on 7 April. Can't wait!
Do those dates match up with the build sheet your dealer gave you? The 1st launch cars for the US aren't scheduled to leave Emden until 03/28/14.

2015 Macan : White / Black 18 way sport seats / 20 Inch RS wheels / Carbon Interior
post #9 of 3250 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)

They line up more or less; yes, 28 Mar is the date for exit Emden, and 2 May is the date for arrive San Diego. There is only one ship that meets these dates. Perhaps there will be another showing up later? My dealer said "don't be surprised if the car arrives in late April" Just putting 2 and 2 together...
post #10 of 3250 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 11:06 AM

That's great news! I just wish if the cars start showing up in late April Porsche would let people take delivery before May 17th, however I know there's less than a 0% chance of that happening.