104Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #71 of 105 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmolligo View Post
Also, during my conversation with the service advisor he said this is "common" and quickly changed and said "I should not say common but we have fixed couple of cars so far.."
Hmmm, he might get in trouble with his employer if he admitted to a serious problem :-)

'16 Turbo,Sapphire,Black Leather Int/Sport Classics/Window Trim/Roof Rails/Xenons, PDLS+,Tinted Tailights,Sport Design,PSE/PTV/AS/SC/ACC,Burmester,Prem/Comfort Lighting Packages,Leather Dashboard Trim,Seat Console,Steering Column,Rear View Mirror and Sun Visors, Leather Interior Trim in Pebble, Pebble Seatbelts, Headrest Crests, Armrest Logo, White Dials/SC Clock, Alum Fuel Cap, Spt Design Mirrors, Surround, Connect/Online Services,Painted Key,Leather Keypouch,Illum Door Sills
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 105 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what the failure rate is. My guess is it's not significant enough to be alarmed at this point. But during my search I saw Cayenne owners complaining about similar issues in 2009. So I was curious what Porsche has done to actually fix this apart from replacing with a new one.
Does the Cayenne and Macan share the same transfer case? Perhaps it varies based on engine torque? I wonder if a Panny AWD might use the same unit? Might it be Audi sourced?

'16 Turbo,Sapphire,Black Leather Int/Sport Classics/Window Trim/Roof Rails/Xenons, PDLS+,Tinted Tailights,Sport Design,PSE/PTV/AS/SC/ACC,Burmester,Prem/Comfort Lighting Packages,Leather Dashboard Trim,Seat Console,Steering Column,Rear View Mirror and Sun Visors, Leather Interior Trim in Pebble, Pebble Seatbelts, Headrest Crests, Armrest Logo, White Dials/SC Clock, Alum Fuel Cap, Spt Design Mirrors, Surround, Connect/Online Services,Painted Key,Leather Keypouch,Illum Door Sills
post #73 of 105 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)

Quote:
I'm not sure what the failure rate is. My guess is it's not significant enough to be alarmed at this point. But during my search I saw Cayenne owners complaining about similar issues in 2009. So I was curious what Porsche has done to actually fix this apart from replacing with a new one.

Also, during my conversation with the service advisor he said this is "common" and quickly changed and said "I should not say common but we have fixed couple of cars so far.."
Exactly. What's a tiny bit concerning is that I've seen 1 or 2 (???) members report this for their '17's?? Correct me if I'm wrong but if this is the case I too would be curious to know what exactly the "fix" was for those who've had replacements installed over the past 3 model years (other than the fact they put in a new transfer case of course). Something internal has got to be failing in them (occasionally) but you'd think Porsche (or the supplier of the transfer cases) would have figured out what exactly it was and engineered a fix. Interesting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Scheduled GTS Build: 17 March 2017
GTS Delivery: 12 May 2017
Currently Drives: 2016 M3 Individual "One of One"

post #74 of 105 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)

Mine is being replaced, too. No fault codes or anything, but what started happening very, very occasionally starting around 10,000 miles has been more noticeable as I come up to 16,000 miles. Much appreciation to this Forum as a source of information that helped define it as a pattern rather than random occurrences. Waiting for the parts now and hoping for a smooth replacement next week.
SomeBeach likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2016 Dark Blue Metallic Macan S • Unlimited Smiles per Gallon since 8/24/2015
post #75 of 105 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1558 Post(s)

Hope all goes well with your replacement.

What was your symptom pattern?

2015 Macan S | white | agate grey | 19" turbo wheels | summer tires | premium pkg | 18-way seats | PASM | LCA | ventilated seats | 3-zone | gloss black trim | smoking pkg | ACC+PAS | comfort lighting | ordered 12/15/2014, built 1/30/2015 & delivered 3/28/2015 | H&R lowering springs @1370 miles, 5/15/2015
post #76 of 105 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 01:50 AM

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)

Pretty much what @jreimann and @Macanakey reported: a slight shuddering, more like a stutter, from the rear of the car while accelerating at low speeds. It could almost have been a grinding sound except that I felt it rather than heard it. It first showed up around 10K miles, very faintly and only rarely. On my recent Route 66 road trip, I felt it more strongly, intensifying to a series of small thumps during the same kinds of acceleration, and there were a couple of times where the thumps/vibration happened when reversing in a parking lot. That's what sent me back to the Forum to read and do my due diligence before calling for a service appointment.

I never felt it while turning, but I did notice it more clearly, for some reason, after using the cruise control. I sometimes use the CC stalk (on/off, light accel or decel) to moderate my highway speed without flashing brake lights or "lurching" the dog in the back seat, and that usually triggers an event. Perhaps accel/decel using the stalk is a bad idea?

In the meantime, my loaner is a Sapphire Blue Macan 2.0 with the 2017 PCM.
jzwu, SomeBeach and springct like this.

2016 Dark Blue Metallic Macan S • Unlimited Smiles per Gallon since 8/24/2015
post #77 of 105 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 03:06 AM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie Zoi View Post
....In the meantime, my loaner is a Sapphire Blue Macan 2.0 with the 2017 PCM.
Bummer to hear about your car's transfer case. But I look forward to hearing more about your Macan 2.0 impressions and your Route 66 trip to Joplin (in another thread), at some point.
Louie Zoi likes this.

2015 Turbo / White / 20” Spyders / Black Window Trim / CF Sideblades / Espresso with Walnut / Espresso Belts / 14-way Seats / LCA / ACC-PAS / Entry & Drive / Surround View / Insulating Glass / PASM / PTV+ / AS / PCCB
post #78 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

New to forum. Just took my 2016 Macan S (11,500 miles) to dealer this morning. Needs a new transfer case. SA says he should have the work completed this afternoon. My daughter is the everyday drive and had not noticed the problem but when I drove the car it was pretty obvious. Same symptoms as reported above. I described it as a "hammering" on accelerating from a stop. SA's diagnosis took one drive around the parking lot. Came home to look up transfer case online and found this forum. Enjoyed the 2016 I bought for my daughter so much I bought a 2017 GTS. So far no problems with the 2017.
post #79 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
New to forum. Just took my 2016 Macan S (11,500 miles) to dealer this morning. Needs a new transfer case. SA says he should have the work completed this afternoon. My daughter is the everyday drive and had not noticed the problem but when I drove the car it was pretty obvious. Same symptoms as reported above. I described it as a "hammering" on accelerating from a stop. SA's diagnosis took one drive around the parking lot. Came home to look up transfer case online and found this forum. Enjoyed the 2016 I bought for my daughter so much I bought a 2017 GTS. So far no problems with the 2017.
Hmmm, another one. Not that this seems to be a widespread issue, but it seems to be more than isolated. After being active on the forum for a couple of years, i'm wondering if this is the most common serious repair.

Again, it seems like only a very small % of transfer cases have failed, but the fact that the average Macan is still very young might seem to suggest that we should watch this closely.

post #80 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
I'm surprised they can fix it so quickly, although in my case it took them about a week to convince PCNA that it was what it was and to get their approval to replace it. Mine was replaced about a year ago with 21000 miles, and seems to still be OK after another 16,000 miles. I agree that this has happened frequently enough, based on just the info in this forum, that it isn't an isolated issue.
RJMcInnis likes this.

2015 Macan S - Silver on agate, gloss black trim, leather package, PASM, PTV, Premium, 18-ways, Infotainment, Bose, 19" Macan Design, comfort lighting, compass
1996 993 C4S - Polar silver
Gone but not forgotten: '06 911 C2S cab;
07 911 Targa4S; 05 911 C2S cab; 05 C55 AMG; 01 CLK55 AMG; 70 MBZ 300SEL 6.3; 78 BMW 633 CSI