Tranfer case - Page 3 - Porsche Macan Forum
User Tag List

 104Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 09:22 AM
Senior Member
 
WHT TGR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 7,503
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1578 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCZRN View Post
This thread and the other, is freaking me out! I've ordered my 17 GTS and I hope all goes well!! I'm starting to think the expensive extended warranty might be a good idea since I plan on keeping 10 years or so. Lots to break! $$$

Stop worrying already .


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
gobobbie, NETX and SCZRN like this.

WHITE MACAN . CONFIGURED WITH ALL THE STUFF THAT I WANT AND NONE OF THE STUFF I DON'T NEED. HAVE BEEN ENJOYING IT SINCE FEBRUARY 28TH 2015.
WHT TGR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 09:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Sarasota, fl
Posts: 1,132
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCZRN View Post
This thread and the other, is freaking me out! I've ordered my 17 GTS and I hope all goes well!! I'm starting to think the expensive extended warranty might be a good idea since I plan on keeping 10 years or so. Lots to break! $$$
If you want "cheap to keep", then buy a less expensive japanese or korean car. Volvo, SAAB, BMW, Jaguar, Lotus,Porsche,..... car parts are significantly more expensive than US, Japanese and Korean parts....it's been that way for years. A few years ago, someone calculated that maintenance and repairs on a Ferarri cost $1.50 a mile after warranty.

You can expect a Porsche to be more expensive to maintain than a Lexus. If you are going to worry about that...bail now or plan on higher maintenance and repair costs.
NETX and Arnold_T like this.

If you see an ad just below my posted text above, it's inserted by the forum owner, not me.
ghstudio is offline  
post #23 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 11:05 AM
Senior Member
 
keninblaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 1,251
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCZRN View Post
This thread and the other, is freaking me out! I've ordered my 17 GTS and I hope all goes well!! I'm starting to think the expensive extended warranty might be a good idea since I plan on keeping 10 years or so. Lots to break! $$$
The transfer case issue seems pretty uncommon, so hopefully most people won't have to worry about it. I'm envious of your pending GTS. I would have got one if they had been available in 2014. But I love my S.
I asked my SA what the warranty repair cost was for the transfer case replacement, as my receipt obviously showed zero cost to me. He didn't say, but did allude to the extensive testing PCNA required at $160/hour, and that the transfer case itself was over $2000. He told me that PCNA wanted to eliminate the PDK as the source of the shuddering. He said a PDK transmission, which is not serviceable, is around $30k (I doubt this is the case and I haven't researched the accuracy of this, but I expect they are expensive). He was only aware of one PDK failure (under warranty). They seem pretty bullet proof, as demonstrated by a guy on Youtube that Launch Controlled a Turbo S fifty times in a row, and it never missed a beat.
All this did remind me, however, that if I decide to keep the car longer than the factory warranty, I'll want to purchase an extended warranty for peace of mind. It doesn't need to be purchased when the car is new, only before the factory warranty expires. And it pays to shop around. I'll likely opt for a new one instead.
jzwu, SCZRN and L_K like this.

2015 Macan S - Silver on agate, gloss black trim, leather package, PASM, PTV, Premium, 18-ways, Infotainment, Bose, 19" Macan Design, comfort lighting, compass
1996 993 C4S - Polar silver
Gone but not forgotten: '06 911 C2S cab;
07 911 Targa4S; 05 911 C2S cab; 05 C55 AMG; 01 CLK55 AMG; 70 MBZ 300SEL 6.3; 78 BMW 633 CSI

Last edited by keninblaine; 02-01-2016 at 11:58 PM.
keninblaine is offline  
 
post #24 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 11:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Northern California
Posts: 584
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Default

@WHT TGR I'm over it, thanks.

Thank you @keninblaine . Wow pdk is 30k-40k....seriously?!

@ghstudio that's a little harsh. I don't have a "cheap" car now.
Louie Zoi and L_K like this.

2017 Macan GTS in my garage since 4/20/16 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SCZRN is offline  
post #25 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 11:55 PM
Senior Member
 
keninblaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 1,251
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCZRN View Post
Thank you @keninblaine . Wow pdk is 30k-40k....seriously?!
@ghstudio that's a little harsh. I don't have a "cheap" car now.
That is what my SA said, but I think he is mistaken. I saw another thread where someone said it was a $7000 part and might cost $10k with labor. So I will edit my comment so as not to scare folks unnecessarily, since it isn't a verified number.
SCZRN likes this.

2015 Macan S - Silver on agate, gloss black trim, leather package, PASM, PTV, Premium, 18-ways, Infotainment, Bose, 19" Macan Design, comfort lighting, compass
1996 993 C4S - Polar silver
Gone but not forgotten: '06 911 C2S cab;
07 911 Targa4S; 05 911 C2S cab; 05 C55 AMG; 01 CLK55 AMG; 70 MBZ 300SEL 6.3; 78 BMW 633 CSI
keninblaine is offline  
post #26 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 11:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Northern California
Posts: 584
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninblaine View Post
That is what my SA said, but I think he is mistaken. I saw another thread where someone said it was a $7000 part and might cost $10k with labor. So I will edit my comment so as not to scare folks unnecessarily, since it isn't a verified number.

That seems more likely, but who knows. Doesn't really matter.

2017 Macan GTS in my garage since 4/20/16 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SCZRN is offline  
post #27 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 12:00 AM
Senior Member
 
keninblaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 1,251
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCZRN View Post
That seems more likely, but who knows. Doesn't really matter.
Exactly! As some say, drive it like you stole it.
SCZRN likes this.

2015 Macan S - Silver on agate, gloss black trim, leather package, PASM, PTV, Premium, 18-ways, Infotainment, Bose, 19" Macan Design, comfort lighting, compass
1996 993 C4S - Polar silver
Gone but not forgotten: '06 911 C2S cab;
07 911 Targa4S; 05 911 C2S cab; 05 C55 AMG; 01 CLK55 AMG; 70 MBZ 300SEL 6.3; 78 BMW 633 CSI
keninblaine is offline  
post #28 of 105 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 02:44 PM
Junior Member
 
Boxtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Boston Area
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Default

My Macan S with PTV has about 14 months and 12,000 easy miles on it and developed similar symptoms a month ago. At first it was difficult to pin down. When first driven cold, it seemed fine, but as driving progressed there was hesitation on acceleration as if it was a fuel problem. The engine revved fine in neutral so I thought it might be a problem only under load so I tried lower gear acceleration and it seemed to make no difference. Coincidentally I noticed some bucking reversing in tight parking situations like my Tacoma does when its in 4WD. I wondered if that was normal but realized I hadn't really experienced it before in the Macan so why was it happening now? I didn't connect these two symptoms. I called the dealer, talked to service and it seemed they didn't recognize the symptoms so I drove on with some better and not so good days but never any smooth ones. I didn't try the Macan Forum but I'm not sure what I would have searched for - shuddering and bucking? Finally after determining that this problem was not going to go away I brought it to the dealer (Porsche of Westwood) when I could leave it for a few days, thinking they would have to spend time with it to ferret out this on again/off again problem. To my surprise and delight, the service manager said, "Oh it's probably the transfer case. We've had to replace a few. We'll verify that diagnosis and replace it under warranty if so." A week later, I had my favorite car back, clean and running like a top. I asked whether or not this might happen again and how that would be covered. He said they had had no others come back a second time, but that if it failed again, it would only be covered under the initial warranty period. The only thing that would have been better would have been if I had been aware of the symptoms sooner. If so I'd have had it fixed two months earlier.
Louie Zoi likes this.
Boxtah is offline  
post #29 of 105 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 04:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Denver
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Default

Am I the only one here who is kinda hoping mine goes out (and takes a long to repair) so I can get a new 911 loaner?
DenverDucati is offline  
post #30 of 105 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 04:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtah View Post
My Macan S with PTV has about 14 months and 12,000 easy miles on it and developed similar symptoms a month ago. At first it was difficult to pin down. When first driven cold, it seemed fine, but as driving progressed there was hesitation on acceleration as if it was a fuel problem. The engine revved fine in neutral so I thought it might be a problem only under load so I tried lower gear acceleration and it seemed to make no difference. Coincidentally I noticed some bucking reversing in tight parking situations like my Tacoma does when its in 4WD. I wondered if that was normal but realized I hadn't really experienced it before in the Macan so why was it happening now? I didn't connect these two symptoms. I called the dealer, talked to service and it seemed they didn't recognize the symptoms so I drove on with some better and not so good days but never any smooth ones. I didn't try the Macan Forum but I'm not sure what I would have searched for - shuddering and bucking? Finally after determining that this problem was not going to go away I brought it to the dealer (Porsche of Westwood) when I could leave it for a few days, thinking they would have to spend time with it to ferret out this on again/off again problem. To my surprise and delight, the service manager said, "Oh it's probably the transfer case. We've had to replace a few. We'll verify that diagnosis and replace it under warranty if so." A week later, I had my favorite car back, clean and running like a top. I asked whether or not this might happen again and how that would be covered. He said they had had no others come back a second time, but that if it failed again, it would only be covered under the initial warranty period. The only thing that would have been better would have been if I had been aware of the symptoms sooner. If so I'd have had it fixed two months earlier.
For the transfer case to go bad so early for several owners on this forum speaks badly about the reliability of Macan. Most owners are not on this forum so there has to be quite a few of them as your service manager indicated, and that's just from one dealer! Whether the item in under warranty is besides the point. I never had any transfer case issue including my previous daily driver 2004 G35X, 120K miles.
flash gordon is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome