2Likes
  • 2 Post By windblow

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Default Service Pricing-Wheel Balancing

The other day I had my S in to the shop for fixing the sweat in the hood. They did not have a Porsche loaner so they set me up with a Nissan Altima at their dealer across the street.

In addition to the hood being fixed, they did the 10,000 mile service and a wheel balancing.

The Porsche wheel balancing was $130.00. I walk in to the Nissan dealer and there on the wall is wheel balancing and rotation-$49.00. Now I understand that I have a Porsche and that any service will be higher yet 3X is way out of line. When I got the call about my service I told the gal that I was not unhappy with the service but did feel that I was taken advantage of on the wheel balance pricing. Of course I have not had a calls back to explain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoofpilot View Post
The other day I had my S in to the shop for fixing the sweat in the hood. They did not have a Porsche loaner so they set me up with a Nissan Altima at their dealer across the street.

In addition to the hood being fixed, they did the 10,000 mile service and a wheel balancing.

The Porsche wheel balancing was $130.00. I walk in to the Nissan dealer and there on the wall is wheel balancing and rotation-$49.00. Now I understand that I have a Porsche and that any service will be higher yet 3X is way out of line. When I got the call about my service I told the gal that I was not unhappy with the service but did feel that I was taken advantage of on the wheel balance pricing. Of course I have not had a calls back to explain.
Another example of why I try to avoid new car dealers (not just for Porsche) for non warranty service.

'16 Turbo,Sapphire,Black Leather Int/Sport Classics/Window Trim/Roof Rails/Xenons, PDLS+,Tinted Tailights,Sport Design,PSE/PTV/AS/SC/ACC,Burmester,Prem/Comfort Lighting Packages,Leather Dashboard Trim,Seat Console,Steering Column,Rear View Mirror and Sun Visors, Leather Interior Trim in Pebble, Pebble Seatbelts, Headrest Crests, Armrest Logo, White Dials/SC Clock, Alum Fuel Cap, Spt Design Mirrors, Surround, Connect/Online Services,Painted Key,Leather Keypouch,Illum Door Sills
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)

3X is not way out of line if you ask me. Why not, you asked? I had my son's 2016 CR-V oil & filter changed at the dealer for a total of $35, 1/10X the cost of a Porsche on average
notmac1 and WHT TGR like this.

Macan GTS - carmine red, agate/pebble gray
991.2 Cab - gt silver, black/bordeaux red, manual, PSE
991 Turbo S - sapphire blue, espresso

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Do you know what balancing machine they used? The only way I'd even come close to thinking about paying that kind of overpriced rate is if they RoadForce balanced the wheels. That particular Hunter machine (or above) is the ONLY thing I'll let balance my Macan.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I really do not know what machine they use yet I do know that I have absolutely no vibration or shimmy in the wheels. You do ask a great question.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)

Road force balancing costs $100 or more. Regular balancing should be less than $50.

Porsche balancing = whatever they charge.

2015 Macan S | white | agate grey | 19" turbo wheels | summer tires | premium pkg | 18-way seats | PASM | LCA | ventilated seats | 3-zone | gloss black trim | smoking pkg | ACC+PAS | comfort lighting | ordered 12/15/2014, built 1/30/2015 & delivered 3/28/2015 | H&R lowering springs @1370 miles, 5/15/2015
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage

I know for a fact that my local Porsche shop has a road force machine, as does the local BMW shop. Penske probably buys them in bulk!

'17 GTS Night Blue over black leather with most of the toys I wanted in and out
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoofpilot View Post

Remember the Chicago song: "It's only the Beginning." It helps to hum that once and a while, makes things easier to digest!