Can of worms time...new Macan vs used Macan S pros and cons discussion - Porsche Macan Forum
User Tag List

7Likes
  • 4 Post By yrralis1
  • 1 Post By Steptronic
  • 1 Post By TheBrit
  • 1 Post By Hi-Toro

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Default Can of worms time...new Macan vs used Macan S pros and cons discussion

Hi everybody,
This is my first thread on the forum and can I also just say what a great, friendly and informative forum this is.

So I'd really like your opinions on the above dilemma...used low km out of warranty Macan S or new/newish Macan with warranty.

Hand on heart my budget is max 100K...as much as I'd love to buy a new S,GTS Turbo the funds aren't there.

I'm seeing lightly optioned 2014 S models with 20000 to 40000Km on them between 85 to 100K. I have seen lightly optioned Macan models with 1000km on them for just over 100k.

So here's my dilemma...am i likely to see any major costly issues on a 3.5 year S over the next 5 years? I know...crystal ball and all but. ..

Minus the engine and options is the Macan exactly the same re suspension (PASM/AIR), gearbox handling etc as the other models? Different weight due to 4 cyl engine?

Is it likely that the aftermarket tuners will start to develop packages for this model similar to vw/audi etc thus increasing the killer wasps making it more appealing?

I was definitely set on the used S until the 2L was released..heart said S then brain said what about the 2L. Given the new cayman and boxster (?) are being released with turbo 4 cyl engines (?) is this just the way things are going and time for me to get over it? I don't think the Australian base Mscan is actually good value but it comes with a warranty,
Choice and low kms which will assist with the lease etc.

There are no plans to buy a cayman or 911 anytine soon so the Macan has to fill all requirements re being sporty and driving/handling like a Porsche and being practical...ie passengers 😀

All of your answers and advice will be extremely helpful...thanks guys 😀😀

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Forgot to add I'm in Sydney 😀

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 487 Post(s)
Quoted: 1914 Post(s)

You are in a tough spot . It almost is like a stalemate . Since the cars are so expensive in your region you only have one chance to get it right . I used to talk at length with an Australian member in a 911 forum . He explained to me that since the car costs a lot most people tend to hang onto them longer . Even used they are expensive so the the person willing to spend the money will want a new one . My feeling is don't buy anything . You want the S .. just wait until the funds are there to buy it new .
Benz, BossHoss, fritz and 1 others like this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Seeing lot of good reviews on the latest Macan Base with increased bhp and lot more base macans on the roads these days. If you want to keep for long, looks like base is the best option for you.
Test driven? What do you feel? If you feel it is alright for your needs, go for Base as it will have warrant for peace of mind.

Otherwise S.
onpole01 likes this.

Macan Yes, Cayman (double) Yes (in order)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)

A base 2.0 litre with tuning is likely to give about 330 bhp.

An S is 340 bhp to start off with plus tuning is likely to give about 400 bhp which is Turbo territory.

Now going with an oil burner and the diesel with tuning will give about 320 bhp but a shedload or torque which will blow off other Macans in terms of on the move acceleration.

Pays your money and takes your choice.

But, if you are going on any outback roads then do check out getting the wheels and suspension right.

No PASM and large wheels will give a very hard ride.

Basic options to ensure are included would for me be:-
Upgraded seats
At least Xenons
PASM
PS+
Larger wheels
Spare wheel
Plus Air Suspension if you want a more comfortble ride.

Long term ownership will run into very large service costs. Do have a talk with the Service Manager at a dealer on what the costs would be at various mileages.

One guy in the UK has been quoted the UK equivalent A$ 3000 for a new set of disks and pads alone so heaven knows how much replacing the cam drives will cost.
onpole01 likes this.

Macan 1 S diesel, spec scimilar to Turbo
Macan 2 Turbo, Air, PASM, 14 way, SC, PS+, Spyders, Surround Cam, LEDs, Met Black, Garnet, Pano, Privacy Glass, ACC, Alloy PDK, SD mirrors, Interior light and storage packs.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:31 PM

Service the base Macan at any Audi or VW service centre as it's the same engine used across the VW group. Especially when the car goes beyond the warranty. Wheels and brakes at any wheel and brake place. Donellans is very good here in Melbourne for European cars. There is nothing magical about the dealership garage unless it's an actual issue with a Porsche specific part like the PCM etc ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
onpole01 likes this.