User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Default Engine control fault - Macan S Diesel

Mine is MY17 Macan S Diesel. Have done 9500 km so far. So far - it has 3x "Engine Control Fault - Consult Dealer - Driving Permitted" message. Each has required a visit to a dealer.

Twice requiring "oxygen sensor cleaning" and last one they replaced the oxygen sensor.

And today it appeared again!!. Annoying as it will require me to visit the service centre again. Anyone have this fault appears? I'm in Perth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)

We don't get the Macan diesel in North America - would have loved to try it though
fincher likes this.

18 Macan GTS (ordered March 31, 2017)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

09 911 Targa 4S (love my daily driver)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97 Boxster (gone but not forgotten)

57 356 Cabrio Distler (got it new - still with me)

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
and I'm not sure about the universe.

Albert Einstein
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

what was the cause and how is was / is it resolved? did you notice anything on the car itself?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

OK. So, it's another oxygen sensor problem. Porsche said that there are many cars with similar problem. They have redesigned the oxygen sensor, and a new version is coming in the next few weeks. They said they will notify me once the new oxygen sensor is available.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

what milage do you do each month, as the filters need a good run every now and then to keep them clean, have a look in the hand book
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 05:53 PM
gaf

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I had the message a while back that the sensor needed me to keep the engine above 2k for a certain period to clean the sensor. I was only too happy to comply. It worked... the message went away. It was not the message you received though.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there, came across this while looking for owners with same issue... So I have also had this problem 3 times and this will be the 4th. Mine seems to be related to the "diesel regenerate" message though, i.e it has come on sometime after this specific message. From reading the other posts, I can't tell whether you others have had this one pop up in conjucnction. The only exception was the 2nd time when the "regenerate diesel" came on and I was able to take it out immediately for the prescribed time as "gaf" mentioned above and it disappeared. The other times I wasn't able to do this in time and on the 3rd I was charged by the dealer for cleaning it out. I'm very very seriously unhappy about this 4th instance when the "regenerate" message came on for only 2-3 minutes and then switched to "engine control fault". After the control fault sign came on I promptly took it for the recommended drive and its still on with the audible signal. A few minutes doesn't even allow you to get to a freeway or out of a built up zone. This does not make sense!!

The husband thinks its a lemon and I'm inclined to think so too now. Some advice and or further information is appreciated. I'm prepared to take this legal if I don't get a decent explanation this time as I think what I'm getting from Porsche so far is not satisfactory. I wonder if there's a known fault that they're not disclosing? Whitford, if you'd let me know of the outcome of your issue I'd appreciate it too.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

it is all about your normal day to day drive, how far, how long, what engine temperatures reached etc. In the driver handbook reasonable explanation, once the warning signals come up it is generally to late to deal with and a trip to dealer needed.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 05:52 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgas View Post
it is all about your normal day to day drive, how far, how long, what engine temperatures reached etc. In the driver handbook reasonable explanation, once the warning signals come up it is generally to late to deal with and a trip to dealer needed.
This is oh so valid

The diesel engine is notorious for being temperamental if your driving style does not suit the engine.

It is a not suitable engine as a shopping and school run car, that is short distances where the engine does not get up to operating temperatures.

It needs to get into regeneration mode now and then to clear out the system, 1/2 hour with revs over 2000 should do it but its not as easy as that for it will only go into regen mode if the system tells it too.

There is also an add hoc nature to the beast as owners with said oil burning engine have reported faults despite using the car for longer journeys and at high speed, so given the same operating criteria one engine is OK whereas another runs into faults.

Different tack, the engine itself.

I owned a diesel engined Macan, its a good engine but my driving style suited it. The massive low down torque was great but for me the main problem with it was that the delivered plateaued.

At 256 bhp it is also way underpowered, and as it is based on the Audi SQ5 engine there is no reason why Porsche could not have supplied the diesel Macan with at least the same 330 bhp as the Audi engine produces in the SQ5.

Only had the diesel for six months then changed it for a Turbo which is on a different planet re performance.

The fuel consumption was also not as good as the dubious VW group publish so there is another reason not to be bothered if the diesel is not available where you are.

Actually the base 2.0 will be better choice than the diesel, its similar in power but way down on torque but it is far lighter and hence the handling of a base Macan will be better than the very front heavy diesel.

Macan 1 S diesel, spec scimilar to Turbo
Macan 2 Turbo, Air, PASM, 14 way, SC, PS+, Spyders, Surround Cam, LEDs, Met Black, Garnet, Pano, Privacy Glass, ACC, Alloy PDK, SD mirrors, Interior light and storage packs.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

They fit mine with a new oxygen sensor. According to the service advisor it has larger 6 ports rather than smaller 12 ports. The new sensor just become available this month apparently. So far so good.
Benz likes this.