User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Default Transfer case fault

Hi all, it's been a long time since I've posted or commented.

An update which may be of interest to some.

My Macan is now just on 21 months old. 18000km. Never been tracked etc.

About a month ago I noticed what can be best described as a 'clunk' on acceleration. Over the period of a month the single clunk turned to multiple. This only happened once the engine was warm and sitting around the 90 deg C temp.

Called service dept of PCM, told to bring the macan in and they'd reset the shift adaptations and see if the issue is a software glitch.

On arrival a mechanic spoke to me about the problem I had been experiencing. He took the car for a run, gone a out 2 mins and informed me the transfer case would need replacing.

Long story short, they need the car for a week to replace the transfer case.

We've had a few issues with the car. The bonnet rattle which took 8 days to fix, cracked side panels around drivers window, and also climate control issue in the front. When in sync mode the driver gets blasted with cold air whilst passenger is blasted with hot air.

Above all else, I love this car. PCM have always been very obliging re any issues. Of course, this helps when everything is under warranty.
springct and GTLGTS like this.

Macan S, Jet Black Metallic. Ordered 28 Aug 2014, delivered 24 Jan 2015.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Garage

Ditto with my car, although they're telling me it's a front drive shaft issue. Car has been with them for 3 weeks now. The part is supposed to be here at the beginning of November. I'm really hoping that they're fixing the right thing!
springct likes this.

2016 Macan Turbo in Dark Blue Metallic. Premium Package Plus. Saddle Brown/Luxor Beige Interior. 20" RS Spyder Wheels.
2008 911 Turbo Cabriolet Speed Yellow
2016 Boxster GTS Carmine Red
2016 Ford F-150 Limited
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)

Mine has developed a clunk that feels like it is coming from a driveshaft or the steering. Only notice it when reversing and turning left.

Took it in and (of course) couldn't reproduce it and dealer found nothing. Need to see if I can consistently reproduce it now so I can demonstrate it to them.

Mine has 18500 kms on it now.

White Macan S - Delivered 17/1/15

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have a 2016 Macan Turbo with around 18,000 miles. Have same issues, it was like it was mis-firing at first. When the car is cold, no issues but as the car warms up it get worse and worse. Slow acceleration from a stop it was like a hesitation thumping or knocking sound.

Took it into service the first time and they re-set or re-programed the drive control. Same issue. Took it the second time and they replaced the front drive shaft. Same issue. In the shop for the third time and they had some communication with Porsche and did some tests, figured it was the Transfer Case. I'm waiting on the parts to come from Germany, I'm hoping this will do the trick.

Had kind of similar issue with my Cayenne Turbo in the past and that was due to the coils. And that had the check engine light associated with it, whereas the Macan had nothing.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

My son, riding in the back seat, says to me yesterday "Dad, your car sounds weird. Can't you hear that?" It was like there was a fast thuck-thuck-thuck-thuck as it was coasting down at low speed, seemingly from the right side. Well, this morning, since he mentioned that, I can now hear it loud and clear.

I recalled an event two days before, when the parking garage was wet, where with the wheels turned it felt like the front wheel slipped as if being pushed by the back, just like when you drive a 4-wheel drive truck with the hubs locked.

Stopped by the dealer this morning. Quick ride by the technician confirmed it was the transfer case. It is due to be replaced next week.

Macan S - dark blue/espresso, a/s w pasm, sport design wheels, black gloss, black rails, 14-way, bose, premium, infotainment, lighting, thermal glass
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)

Looks like there have been quite a few incidences of the transfer case problem.

Wonder if it is becoming more wide spread with more Macan's racking up miles. Mine is at 13k miles now and will keep an eye out for this.
Louie Zoi likes this.

2015 Macan S | white | agate grey | 19" turbo wheels | summer tires | premium pkg | 18-way seats | PASM | LCA | ventilated seats | 3-zone | gloss black trim | smoking pkg | ACC+PAS | comfort lighting | ordered 12/15/2014, built 1/30/2015 & delivered 3/28/2015 | H&R lowering springs @1370 miles, 5/15/2015
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfl007 View Post
I have a 2016 Macan Turbo with around 18,000 miles. Have same issues, it was like it was mis-firing at first. When the car is cold, no issues but as the car warms up it get worse and worse. Slow acceleration from a stop it was like a hesitation thumping or knocking sound.

Took it into service the first time and they re-set or re-programed the drive control. Same issue. Took it the second time and they replaced the front drive shaft. Same issue. In the shop for the third time and they had some communication with Porsche and did some tests, figured it was the Transfer Case. I'm waiting on the parts to come from Germany, I'm hoping this will do the trick.

Had kind of similar issue with my Cayenne Turbo in the past and that was due to the coils. And that had the check engine light associated with it, whereas the Macan had nothing.
Good mechanics are very hard to find these days. Most of the tech are parts replacers. Ability to diagnose/trouble shoot is a rare skill.
synergize and Mark's M like this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Add one more to the list of transfer case faults. Mine was diagnosed today and the dealer said he'll reschedule another visit when the parts are in. They said it's ok to drive but I'm taking it easy..

Delivered - 07 Aug 2015: 2016 Macan S in Dark Blue with just Comf lighting and HD radio.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendoll View Post
Mine has developed a clunk that feels like it is coming from a driveshaft or the steering. Only notice it when reversing and turning left.

Took it in and (of course) couldn't reproduce it and dealer found nothing. Need to see if I can consistently reproduce it now so I can demonstrate it to them.

Mine has 18500 kms on it now.
I have had the reverse clunk several times, so far only 1800 miles on the odometer. The other day it felt like I hit something it was so pronounced.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

When I made the appointment I contacted the dealer via email and sent links to this thread and another one from renlist. That helped me explain.

Delivered - 07 Aug 2015: 2016 Macan S in Dark Blue with just Comf lighting and HD radio.